Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Lines between data points on Scatter Graph

Hi,

In QlikView it is really quite simple to add a dimension to a scatter graph such that the position of points is plotted for the beginning and the end of a date range and then have a line drawn between the two points.  By altering the size of the bubble based on whether the date dim is at the start or the end, you can make it clear which value is where the historical value is and which is the most recent.  The line then gives an excellent indication of which direction a particular point is moving in.

I'm trying to recreate one of these charts in Qlik Sense, and as far as I can see it is not possible to add more than one dimension to the stock Scatter Graph.

Does anyone know of a way that I can create the visualisation like it was in QlikView?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give.

Steve

26 Replies
odassier
Creator II
Creator II

HI Steve,

Thanks for sharing. I am using Qlik Sense though, and not QlikView so was looking for what you did in the latter part of your response, a way to implement this in Qlik Sense.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, though, I am just beginning to use Qlik Sense and it’s a steep learning curve!

Olivier

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

It is looking like this extension from the guys at VizLib ( ackmahlerma‌ and anguila2‌ ) could be the answer.

Vizlib Scatter Plot for Qlik Sense

I need to do a lot more playing with it yet though.

Steve

odassier
Creator II
Creator II

HI Steve,

This is perfect, exactly what I needed!  Thank you so much for sharing.  Will play around with it but based on their example, this should do the trick.

Olivier

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

Thanks Olivier.  You may also want to see the blog post I've done on the VizLib extensions, which has a bit more detail on where they may go next:  http://bit.ly/2mBkCmb

Steve

odassier
Creator II
Creator II

Hi Steve,

Great blog post, thanks for sharing. I hadn’t heard about Rosling’s passing either. His videos are what turned me onto visualization in the first place. Will follow the Vizlib team.

If I may, I’m still stuck on the second scatter plot, not seeing the time line. Could you figure out what I’m doing wrong? The first one worked so well.

Thanks,

Olivier

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

Hi Olivier,

I believe that the VizLib guys have been in touch with you and given pointers in what you need to do to make this work?  They are looking at making more dates and formats work in future.

odassier
Creator II
Creator II

Yes, sorry, they have. I sent them the underlying data and Hope they can help.

Cheers,

Olivier

simondachstr
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hey guys -

We have added support for more dates & formats - this is now being tested internally and will be released probably the week after this week.

@Olivier - you should have received an answer from Vizlib regarding your questions.

Will keep you updated here as well when we update our chart.

Thanks,

Martin

http://www.vizlib.com

odassier
Creator II
Creator II

Hi Martin,

Yes, Vizlib got back to me and fixed all my issues.  Great support and great extension.  It will become a key part of my dashboards and allows me to combine both point-in-time analysis with time-line views in a single chart; very useful in finance.

Olivier

jimmygohhanjie
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi stevedark

Nice chart, I am looking to create that. Still new to Qlikview.

The scatter chart with 2014 in grey and line link to 2015.

Do you have a guide or walk through to create that.