cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
agsearle
Creator
Creator

SAP Fetch aborted due to incorrect number of rows

There was a previous discussion on this issue, but it was closed with no result.

Also the issue was supposed to have been fixed on SAP Connector 5.8 SR4. However we are on SAP Connector 6.0IR and are still having the issue on a regular basis.

When extracting data from SAP using the SAP Connector the load fails right at the end saying 'fetch aborted due to incorrect number rows', particularly for larger extracts. We are using QV11.2 SR12, and at the moment are unable to upgrade any further due to current software limitations.

Has anyone else managed to sort this issue?

24 Replies
Hakan_Ronningberg

Hi Dennis,

We have not been able to reproduce this problem, so a trace might help us to understand what is happening. How often does the error occur?

Maybe you can have the trace activated in the connection string until the error occurs? The drawback is a very small impact on performance and that trace records are created in the Qlik database table /QTQVC/TRACE. However the trace records can be deleted regularly using the transaction /n/QTQVC/DELETE_BGD.

Regards,

Hakan

dennisfassbende
Contributor II
Contributor II

The error occured only 2 times since January.

I will start the trace and give you the report if the issue appears next time.

Thanks,

Dennis

Von: Hakan Ronningberg

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 8. März 2017 11:20

An: Faßbender, Dennis

Betreff: Re: – SAP Fetch aborted due to incorrect number of rows

Qlik Community <https://community.qlik.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Antwort von Hakan Ronningberg<https://community.qlik.com/people/hrg?et=watches.email.thread> in QlikView Connector for SAP - Komplette Diskussion anzeigen<https://community.qlik.com/message/1226983?et=watches.email.thread#1226983>

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Arrrrghh, that's bad news. I was still hoping that version 6.x would fix that annoying problem.

I'm very interested in what comes out of this discussion, so please - and if possible - don't move this to Qlik Support.

One thing from my side that may be helpful: these errors may occur multiple times a day (apparently today already 2 of them), in different table loads (large or small doesn't matter at all) but they seem to be tied to specific points in time or periods. And on top of that, they never occur during the large nighly ODS reload. Always during the day when reduced series of loads are performed (more SAP users on-line). Is that also the case at your site?

dennisfassbende
Contributor II
Contributor II

In our company this error only occurs during the night (large reloads) ☹

But please can you send us the trace files? Because you seems to have this errors many times.

Von: peter cammaert

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 8. März 2017 15:11

An: Faßbender, Dennis

Betreff: Re: – SAP Fetch aborted due to incorrect number of rows

Qlik Community <https://community.qlik.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Antwort von peter cammaert<https://community.qlik.com/people/pcammaert?et=watches.email.thread> in QlikView Connector for SAP - Komplette Diskussion anzeigen<https://community.qlik.com/message/1227186?et=watches.email.thread#1227186>

Hakan_Ronningberg

Hi Peter,

Maybe you can perform a trace as decribed in the section "Create and find Trace records" on p. 22 in the document below, as you get the error more often?

Qlik Connector for SAP - Tips and Tricks v1.5

If you are able to do it, please attach the result of the trace as an Excel file and also attach the corresponding SQL connector log. Would be very useful for us!

Thanks,

Hakan

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi Dennis, Hakan,

I tried doing this already a couple of years ago. The problem with getting a trace on the production machine is that it causes the reload to take almost twice as long as it usually takes (1 connection to extract all required tables). Therefor, I cannot run this during a weekday (fixed interval updates). If I run a trace in the weekend instead, nothing wrong ever happens. The only reasons I can find for that behavior is that 1) in weekends, fewer SAP users are on-line, and 2) the trace code slows down the data exchange in such a way that the issue simply doesn't occur anymore...

This type of error is entirely unpredictable, so much so that we decided to implement a robust retry logic in most of our ODS scripts to handle the worst cases. The others are handled manually by restarting the task chain in QMC.

What I can do is schedule a few of these extraction steps in the weekend with the tracing enabled, and then just wait for something to happen. But as you see, I cannot guarantee anything at this moment.

Elusive? Yes indeed...

Hakan_Ronningberg

Hi Peter,

F.Y.I. there is a significant performance improvement for the SQL connector in the latest release 6.3.2 (feature introduced in release 6.1.2). We have seen up to 30% improved performance! This will compensate for the activation of the Trace connection string property.   However if you consider an upgrade you should read the Release Notes carefully. Some SAP data types are handled differently in release 6.3.2, compared to in previous releases. There are two new connection string properties available, mentioned in the Release Notes that will make the connector keep the previous way of handling those data types.

Regards,

Hakan

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Yes, I am aware of the advantages of the latest 6.x releases (tested them extensively at another site) and of the changed processing of Date values. However, the customer with the largest framework is still running 5.8SR4, precisely because of that modified field processing. We are planning to do an upgrade after a thorough evaluation which hasn't been planned yet (other priorities).

If 6.3.x would be free of "Wrong number of rows received"-anomalies, I would have had a strong argument to push the upgrade. Not sure about that anymore...

Anyway, we're planning for weekend loads with the trace option enabled. Probably starting next weekend (March 18).

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi Hakan,

a week ago we migrated to SAP Connector v6.5.1 at the customer that experienced "Wrong number of rows"-errors, and almost immediately we were greeted by the same issues again. So the upgrade from 5.80SR4/5.90 didn't resolve that one.

Today and for the first time, we also managed to get an error while running with Trace=true; so I can finally make good on my promise to supply more detailed information to help Qlik analyse this problem.

Since I'm dealing with customer information that cannot be posted in a public forum, I created a support case with number 01206177. All elements you asked for (and then some) have been included in the case upload.

Hope it helps.

Peter

markoantonio1
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hola a todos.

hace unos días estoy presentando el mismo inconveniente.

pudieron determinar cual es el origen del problema y una solución para ello?.

agradecería puedan compartirlo.

Saludos

Marco