Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Filter out sharp spikes (outliers)

I have data that normally follows a very clear and smooth line that can slope upward and downwards but it has a lot of short and very steep spikes that distort the data (from protocol errors). I would like to ignore them in my chart, esentlially "clipping them out" of the data. For example, a typical outliner could be identified in the following data sample:

or

The ones in red are the outliers I need to filter out of my chart. There are many of those and their magnitude changes slightly over the dataset, so it is not very straight forward to just use an if/then condition to filter out the ones that are >5600 for example, as it would leave holes in the curve.

An example screenshot of my data is attached

I was hoping to be able to have a filter expression that can ignore them based on the median (or other method).

EDIT: I have added an example screen shot of the data graph with and without a very simple upper boundary IF condition (if([E7 Nivel de producto (mm)]<4000,median([E7 Nivel de producto (mm)])) that helps a bit to cleanup the curve, but it is very limited and "dumb" and will not work well for all the data.

Help is greatly appreciated!

13 Replies
ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

You can by

1. Selecting the ones you want to exclude with lasso and confirm

2. then in the filter bar at the top of your screen click on the filtered data set youve created and click the ... icon

3. Click Select Excluded and the reverse condition will become your selected

Hope this helps

karthiksrqv
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

In that case, would an expression like avg(metric) in the range work? Instead of hard-coding a number, let it display a range where the min is avg(metric)*.5 and the max is avg(metric)*2.

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

How about using a moving mean and std deviation and allow the data to be with in a certain number of std deviations away from the mean?

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

Jonathan, that is a good idea. The million dollar question is:  what would that expression look like in Qlik?    I am new to Clik so I am not sure how to write that math.

Thank you for your suggestion, I´d like to try it and post the results on this blow for everyone else.