cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

Connect to exchange public folders using Mailbox connector

Is it possible to directly connect to this data source using this connector or do I need to bring it into a database before connecting to it that way.

I know I can link to the folders via a linked table in access for example and then insert the messages into a

Table for loading into SEnse or view.  this is slow so want to know if there is a direct way I can do it.  either using mailbox connector or another one.

Regards

Andy

5 Replies
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Andy,

You can connect to mail servers using either POP3 or IMAP using this connector.  What is even better is that it is one of the free connectors that come bundled with Qlik Web Connectors.

We have used this connector successfully to have data feels emailed to a specified mailbox then have Qlik Web Connectors download new messages and attachments and then use that as a data source.  It's not difficult to set up, and once Qlik Web Connectors are set up as a Service you can set up a reload in Sense or QlikView to directly pull emails into QVDs that can then be loaded into Sense or QlikView.

Give me a shout if you want more details.

Steve

ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II
Author

I can see the benefit of that approach and im looking forward to seeing what other ways we can connect to our data.

At the moment my requirement is to record email volume and type into particular program emails which are stored in public folders so the program team can manage their communications as a group. The sub folders they use provides context to the emails and that is what they would like reported on.

At the moment I have connectors on my desktop and just trying to connect to my own but am getting errors when using both pop and Imap methods.

The exchange examples out there are a little light on the ground.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

This could be to do with the security on your Exchange server.  Have you tried connecting to it with a standard mail client?

Tracking mail volumes, as you describe, would be straight forward - once the connection is successful.

ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II
Author

Yes I tried using my account over web and that works but not through the connector. the imap error might be the protocol not being enabled and I have a ticket in to get that checked the pop error seems a little weirder.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Previously I had been using IMAP, which will pretty much definitely be required for what you are looking to do, but I thought I would try with POP to give this a test.

With GMail it was blocked initially, but when I changed the 'allow unsafe apps' options it worked fine.  Perhaps whatever it is that made GMail not trust QWC initially is also making Exchange uneasy?