Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How do you separate the access point and QV Server on separate servers?

Hello, we're going to be going to a cluster environment soon.   I see that you should have two QV servers for the cluster and have at least one access point on another server.   How do you put the access point on a separate server?

I assume you install the web server portion on a separate server?   Then go to the QV server.   Open QMC and on the access point section, add the new server?

Thanks for the help,

Matt

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

1. Build the new server and put the QV IIS Web Server component on it.

Which web server product are you referring to? The QVWS (a Qlik Web Server for QlikView, included in the installation package) or IIS (the Microsoft product)?

In the latter case, step 1 should include the installation of the QlikView Settings Service on the same machine as IIS. Otherwise you won't be able to talk to IIS from within the QMC.

In a clustered environment, the QMS may not run on the QVS server (neither one of them). But you are right, after installing one or more Web Servers on other platforms, open QMC and change/add web server configuration entries.under the System->Setup->QlikView Web Servers tree entry. If there is already an entry for a local non-existent web server, you can modify it to reflect the new location.

Best,

Peter

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Just install the QVWS on another machine, and then configure it in QMC so that the QlikView Management Service can reach it and tell it how many QVS cluster nodes are to be serviced using the selected load balanving strategy and where theyse QVSes can be found.

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for the info.

So if I was to leave the server where it's at, I would do the following?

Thanks for the help!

2. On the QV Server, open QMC and:  Go to System > Setup > Qlikview Web Servers > click the + a
  3. Edit the existing Web Server.  I no longer want it on the same server as the QV Server, so I'll change it to the new server.  Change it to QVWS@NewServerName and the URL to http://NewServerName:4750/QVWS/Service
  4. If I was to make two APs, just go back to Qlikview Web Servers and click the + to add another?
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Which web server product are you referring to? The QVWS (a Qlik Web Server for QlikView, included in the installation package) or IIS (the Microsoft product)?

In the latter case, step 1 should include the installation of the QlikView Settings Service on the same machine as IIS. Otherwise you won't be able to talk to IIS from within the QMC.

In a clustered environment, the QMS may not run on the QVS server (neither one of them). But you are right, after installing one or more Web Servers on other platforms, open QMC and change/add web server configuration entries.under the System->Setup->QlikView Web Servers tree entry. If there is already an entry for a local non-existent web server, you can modify it to reflect the new location.

Best,

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for the info, Peter. 

We will be using IIS.

That brings up another good question, if QMS is not to be on the QV Servers, where is the best place to put it?    Put it on both QV Access Points (with IIS)?

In the past, we normally chose "Full installation, Single machine with IIS".

Can you confirm this is where we'd install the components?   If incorrect, please let me know which and where they should go. 

For two Clustered QV Servers

• Qlikview Server

For one or two 'load balanced' AP servers

• Management Console
  • Microsoft IIS Support
  • Qlikview Management Service
  • Qlikview Directory Service Connector
  • Distribution Service
  • Qlikview Server Client files

Thank you for all your help

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Well I would like to answer your additional questions, but I see two issues:

• The best distribution for QlikView services on multrple platforms has already been discussed to death (and I can't do any better than most of the answers from the experts). Have a look in the extensive community discussions on the matter.
  • The new questions are unrelated to your original question, so whenever you close your discussion, you'll put an answer in the original post that doesn't really match the question. Confusing for other visitors.

Anyway, you don't need two QMS installations. A single one will do to configure and manage all services.

Put your QMS on the single web server platform. You don't need two web servers either to get QVS load balancing. And the AccessPoint services don't really need load balancing except if you want to build a fully resilient architecture.

Note that in that case you will need a network load balancer (hardware device) or another solution as the IIS installations will not necessarily load balnce by themselves.

The AccessPoint has nothing to do most of the time. It's just waiting for users to pass by and click on a document thumbnail. If they store links in their Favorites, nobody will ever visit the AP again...

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for the info.  It is indeed for resiliency.    If we install Microsoft updates, I'd still like a way for Qlikview to be accessible.  But it may not be worth having the extra complexity for the 5-10 minutes it'll be down.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

For high load servers (thousands of users), it may be worth the energy and investment. But if Windows updates only take 5-10 minites to install (you appear to do this on a more frequent basis than I do ) or you have a maintenance window in a weekend once in a while, then you are probably right.

Good luck !

Peter