Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dhasharadh
Creator III
Creator III

Issue with ODBC and OLEDB connectors while connecting to SQL DB..??

Hi All ,

facing the connection issues with the regular connectors we use for SQL DB.test connection succeeded.

When i try to connect to MS SQL with OLEDB or ODBC with the Windows NT method i can able to connect , but i don't see any data in the database.

then i downloaded the QvODBCconnectorpackage - then every thing perfect and developed the reports.

Now the problem is the app sent for deployment - they need to do a reload to see the data but they are unable to do.

they are getting the below error. Please suggest the method to resolve.

error_oledb.PNG

Do they need to download the QvODBCconnectorpackage as i did. or any other thing causing this error.

Note : this app is on Direct Discovery based.

Please help us as it is urgent.

Best Regards,

Dhasharadh.

6 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Of course your deployment platform needs to have the exact same OLEDB driver. Your Direct Discovery script code contains a CONNECT statement that asks to be connected to a SQL Server database using a specific driver. If your original (dysfunctional) driver uses the same interface but shows no data, the exact same situation occurs on your deployment platform. The problem will probably go away if you install the Qlik driver package on your deployment server as well. 

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Did you ever figure out why the original OLEDB driver refused to show any objects or data? Wrong Schema?

Some fixes may look like they solve a problem but they actually circumvent a situation that still causes problems further downstream...

dhasharadh
Creator III
Creator III
Author

thanks peter ,

Yes your words are correct , at that time i just want to overcome that Problem by installing the QvODBCConnection package but it creates another problem like this to me.

I installed personal edition in my Machine, and in my Data sources (ODBC) - in the user DSNs all the drivers are installed.

Please let me know where to check for the needed drivers for ODBC and OLEDB in my machine. and if i not found those where to download them.

And the one who is deploying definitely have all these drivers installed right ?

now i want to change the connection to OLEDB or i need to send this  QvODBCConnectorpackage also to install on his machine...

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

This is getting a bit confusing for me. You keep talking about OLEDB and ODBC as if they are interchangeable. They're not, they are different solutions to connect to the same database.

QlikODBCConnectorPackage only contains custom ODBC drivers (no OLEDB) with a special feature: they don't need separate definitions in your Windows configuration. They more-or-less act like OLEDB but they are still different  If you want to use OLEDB, then you can download the appropriate drivers from the Microsoft Download site.

As soon as you select a suitable driver package (OLEDB or QlikODBC) and it proves to be working in your development environment, make sure that the same package is also installed on the deployment QlikView server, or your document reloads will fail.

If the driver installations are in sync, you don't need to change anything in your document to make it work on both platforms.

dhasharadh
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Peter,

can you please help me why am getting this below error.  after adding the DSN in my machine , am trying to connect to DB with ODBC as our server not allowed custom Connection strings.

ODBC Error.PNG

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You do not need to define a DSN in your Server. If you still do, this is apparently considered "improper use" and you need to purchase a license.

The advantage of the Qlik ODBC package is that you do not need to define a DSN; all connection properties are stored in the script conneciton string using the wizard. Just as with an OLE DB connection.