Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ciaran_mcgowan
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Password Protected Excel (xlsx)

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to connect to a password protected XLSX file?

I have the latest ODBC drivers (v12) installed on my machine, tried creating a connection in the both the User DNS and the System DNS tabs of my ODBC Data Source.

I'm able to read from a password protected xlsx but only if it's already open at the time of reading. Unfortunately, this isn't a practical approach as I need to  read from 10+ encrypted XLSX files in one load and can't leave all them open. Has anyone cracked a workaround for this issue?

Thanks.

4 Replies
Anil_Babu_Samineni

I would high priority remove password from Excel if you have all admin permission

Or else look into this load a Password protected Excel File to QlikView

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would high priority remove password from Excel if you have all admin permission

Or else look into this recover a Password protected Excel File

if the password is any longer than 4 characters and more than just a dictionary word, good luck, I hope you have a patient attitude, because it can take weeks of brute force dictionary attacking, even utilising some dodgy software that can use a high end GPU for raw number crunching.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anil Babu <span class="icon-status-icon icon-mvp" title="Mvp"></span> wrote:

Or else look into this recover a Password protected Excel File

Absolutely agree! The encryption algorithm for Excel is not really strong and I also don't suggest apply a password to protect the worksheet.

SeanMoss
Contributor II
Contributor II

If you are using an older version, you can use VBA code. Manually deleting the encrypted password may be helpful in removing password from Excel.
Open Excel > click on File > Information and Permissions Options > click the "Encrypt with password" option and clear the password box > "OK" to delete the password > "Save".