Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Section Access to be applied only for a specific sheet

Hi guys,

I Badly need help in getting section access work as per my unique requirement.

I have list of sales rep for whom I should be able to restrict them to access only their accounts ( This is implemented successfully).However I have new challenge of restricting them to only their accounts for one sheet and other sheets/tabs they should be able to view all the data. how do I do it?

8 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Check Avinash resources, and plenty more in the Qlik Community.

Also, consider creating a new application specifically for those users. Section Access for sheets is difficult to maintain and prone to errors and users not seeing their information. If everything within a sheet of a QlikView application is to be restricted for a wide group of users, that very likely means either or both:

1. Data in the data model is still available in the application, users could still use that information
  2. Document contains several unconnected data models: performance can be degraded and maintenance difficulted

To solve both issues, the best option it to create a totally separate application and use section access there and whitelist users in the distribution task from the QMC.

Consider using section access as a way to reduce the data model than visualizations within the application.

cts_shin
Contributor
Contributor

I would create 2 different applications, one with section access and the other without it.

Also, you can use button action to open one applicatoin from the other.

This way you can go back and forth between the 2 applications without the users realizing it.

However, you must be careful with the data availability.

As Miguel explaind, "Data in the data model is still available in the application, users could still use that information".

So if you allow users to create server objects, they could see the restricted data as the following way.

1. Open the application without section access.

2. Create server objects that are the same as those in the application with section access.

I would recommend to rethink of the requirements before starting the development.

shansundar
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Maintain a table with users or user groups and flag for each sheet and use those in the sheet conditional properties.

Thanks,

Shan S

Not applicable
Author

Hi Avinash,

Thanks for your reply! I have my problem bit more complex implementation in hand.

I need to show only sales rep account in tab and show them all the data info in other tabs. I have gone through examples where we can totally restrict the sales rep from going to a specific tab but that is not what i want. I want to show all information for all the users for 3 tabs and shows only their accounts to sales rep all data for Senior level. Could you please help

adamdavi3s
Master
Master

I've done similar things with a mimic column before, however as others have said above this is not infalliable, but it can work.

Essentially you load all the same data into another column, lets say SalesRep_Mimic and don't link this to the data in anyway.

Then you simply clear , trigger and lock selections in the salesrep column based on the Mimic column's available values.

Again to repeat what others have said above, the values are all available in the data model etc so you'll need to ensure that users have no way of getting to these.

shansundar
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi Suhas,

You can categorize the users as POWER user (who can access all accounts) and SALES REP and then apply the restrictions on the accounts field.

And for each SALES REP you can provide their respective account value in the Section Access and join with your data model. This way you can achieve your desired result.

Thanks,

Shan S

shansundar
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

If this still didn't resolve your problem, provide us some dummy data where we can apply the restrictions as per your request and help with the Script.

Thanks,

Shan S