Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
julioarriaga
Creator II
Creator II

How do I single out a heavy-resource-consuming app in a server?

Hello everyone,

I'm having a problem with some user apps that are shooting down my server because they're absurdely heavy (6GB). I am almost 100% sure that it is poorly constructed as there are many iddle attributes, my server is quite powerful and I hadn't have problems before these users were integrated into the qlikview ecosystem.

So, what tool could help me to single out the most resource-heavy apps that are straining my server? I need it because my users are renuent that their apps are causing the performance troubles and I need solid evidence.

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Unfortunately, there are no such tools to isolate a single app or a set of apps. QlikView will use as many CPUs and as much RAM as it is available in the system. That's one of the reasons why having several environments (at least development and production) makes a lot of sense.

On the other hand, check the server logs and the Windows event viewer. 6GB in RAM is not that big, if the number of rows and objects is high. It would be an issue if the app only handles 100k rows. Of course, it can be due to poor development but there are applications using a lot more RAM (note that QlikView caches every Qlik, so the more you use the app, the more memory QlikView will use) and that's not a bad thing nor performance is poor.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

There is unfortunately no resource logging tied to the app level.  Here a a couple of suggestions for indirect approaches.

1. Use the Document Analyzer tool to profile each app.  You can further use the DA Compare Tool to aggregate the server RAM requirements for a group of apps.

Tools | Qlikview Cookbook

2. You can do some sluething by loading together the server event, performance and audit logs, sort by time, and see what activities take place between the increases in RAM and CPU reported by the performance logs. 

-Rob

http://masterssummit.com

http://qlikviewcookbook.com

mmpas4887
Contributor III
Contributor III

I wrote a qvw that parses the task log and sends me a report once a week. It takes the qvw an hour to refresh on our servers so you might want to be careful of your capacity.

num#(TextBetween(@3,'Peak Physical RAM: ',' Mb')) as vphy_mem,//Extract the memory usage in MB