Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Where is the Chipset white list?

Hi all,

I can't find the updated report Chipset white list  / benchmarked well performing servers

Any help, please??

Thank you in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Perhaps you're looking for this: http://www.qlik.com/resource-library/qlikview-tech-note-scalability-center

But that's nearly a year old.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Perhaps you're looking for this: http://www.qlik.com/resource-library/qlikview-tech-note-scalability-center

But that's nearly a year old.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Thank you Gysbert!

Not applicable
Author

Hi all, It's often difficult to find the updated recommended servers list.

Can anybody tell me where is the latest version?

Thank you.

Frederic_De_Ranter

The same link as mentioned above will give you the updated version:

http://www.qlik.com/resource-library/qlikview-tech-note-scalability-center

Not applicable
Author

My mistake... thank you very much.

Not applicable
Author

Hi again,

That list doesn't seems to be completly up to date. E5 2690 processors are mentioned on v2 and v3 but not on v4.

We used to run qlik over E5 2690 v2 and E5 2699 v3  (both with HP DL 380).

Now we are going to try with lenovo and we must choose between

E5-2680v4 (14 cores, 2,4Ghz)

E5-2690v4 (14 cores, 2,6Ghz)

E5-2699v4 (22 cores, 2,4Ghz)

I think that best choices are 2690 and 2699, but 2699 v4 are not mentioned in this version.  Can you tell me why? Is it because it's not well performing or it's because is still validated by the scalability team?

And one more question, why this procersors have not appear as validated on Lenovo? It´s because it's not well performing on Lenovo's  or it's just because it has not been validated on?

And the last one... ¿more frequency or more cores?

Thank you very much,

Best Regards.

Frederic_De_Ranter

Hi,

The list shows what processors the scalability lab has tested and validated to be performing well. So if a processor is not listed, it means that this processor is not validated by the scalability lab. The same for the manufacturer of the servers: we list only the manufacturer where we did the validation on. Of course this does not mean that others will not perform, just that they were not validated by us.

The last question is not one that is simply answered. If an application has many single threaded calculations in it, then the application will of course benefit from a higher clock frequency. If the application is designed with multithreading in mind, then more cores will be beneficial. At the scalability lab, we normally take a look at the total capacity of a system by multiplying the amount of cores with the clock speed. This will give an indication of how much calculation capacity a system has.

For example: a system with 2 E5-2699v4 processors has a calculation capacity of 96.8, while with the E5-2690v4 this is only 72.8. So purely looking at calculation capacity, the E5-2699v4 will perform better. But if the application has a lot of single threaded calculations, the E5-2690v4 might be quicker since its clock speed is higher. If you know that clock speed will help your application, another good processor to look at is the E5-2687Wv4 (that is validated by the scalability lab).

Best regards,

Frederic

Not applicable
Author

Hi Frederic,

Thank you for your quick answer!

So there is not any black list, you only publish the configurations that you have tested.

We have noticed since 11.2 SR13 there are some calculations that before they were multithreaded and on 11.2 SR13 and higher they are now single threaded. It have been because of a product change.

Is it similar on calculation behaviour to have many cores than to enable hyperthreading?

And, can you detail to me, please, the way you obtain 96.8 for 2699v4 and 72.8 for 2690v4?

For last, does publisher calculation behaviour also depend on design?

Thank you very much,

Best regards,

David.

davidmc1
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi Frederic,

That link doesn't work... Please, Where is the updated whitelist?

What about xeon platinum?

Thank you very much

ATB