cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
christygobar
Contributor II
Contributor II

NPrinting 17 Cycle Field through Multiple Reports

In NPrinting 16, I could cycle through a field (Geography) and create individual Excel reports to a destination folder.

I do not find this functionality in the new v17 - only the ability to create filters.

Using "Page" in the template editor does not get my needs covered, as I need an individual Excel file rather than Excel tabs.

Any assistance?

Thanks!

43 Replies
derekjones
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Stephen

I'm just testing 17 and have come across this issue on migrating reports from 16, do you know if there is any update on when this will be available?

Many thanks

ssapseid
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hi Derek

This is very frustrating for us. We are in the awkward situation of having to delay Qv11 > QV12 upgrades because NPrinting 16 is not supported by QV12, so we are asking customer who use QV11 and NPrinting 16 to hold off upgrading to QV12.

The reply we got back from Qlik Support is as follows:

Cycle functionality is not yet available but on the road map for NP 17 and preliminary planned to be available in H2 this year. (this can be changed at any time so you should NOT relay on it when making decisions). Please contact your Account Manager for further details There is no direct method to workaround. However, you can use recipient distribution to emulate cycling for now.

derekjones
Creator III
Creator III

Thanks Steve for the reply.

Not good news then since 11.2 goes out of support end of this year so we're all going to be backed into a corner if they don't sort this out in H2.

Not applicable

Hi sjw, Stephen,

Can you give an estimate when this bug will be fixed? (that is without Excel workarounds)

Thanks,

Matthijs

Stephen_Jasionowski

I do not have an estimate other than it is on the roadmap for this year. It will not be part of the next feature release in June. We are in the process of analyzing how to implement cycles in NPrinting 17.

itec_pao
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Stephen is right about the workaround (or actual solution).

Instead of using cycle field, you can use the folder as a recipient and the filter for the Geography field. In the report, you just put up the report. In the task may put the recipients (Geography field) and it will create for each Geography field based on its filter the relating content. I would create the table for recipient, filter, etc. within QlikView, so you can read it into NPrinting.

Once you've done this, you may find it convenient.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It is only workaround and it will work in very simple scenarios only.

Now imagine production environment with dynamic values in field you need to cycle through, also nobody mentioned the fact that this workaround will work only if we want to cycle through the field and produce reports into one common location (else it becomes completly unpractical)

Case Study:

What if reports need to be distributed to different folders/emails so SalesRep 1 cannot see SalesRep 2 reports --> for example: (this is the most common usecase for all clients where cyclic reports are used):

• SalesRep 1
    • Country Australia (Australia is a recipient filter as this person is reposnsible for this country only)
      • Cycle through cities and produce separate reports for each city (Brisbane, Sydney, Darwin (cities are dynamic - they apear depending on client location))
  • SalesRep 2
    • Country Germany (Germany is a recipient filter)
      • Cycle through cities and produce separate reports for each city (Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt cities are dynamic - they apear depending on client location))

How do you workaround above need?

hopefuly there is a workaround for this - as currently i do not have a fully atomated solution for it.

Note. be aware that No of citites may be greater than 250 - some of my clients have limited no of recipients which we can distribute reports to.

any ideas?

cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
woutermak
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

I have exactly the same case as described above. Are there any options? Or do we have to wait for cycle option? But I red in the post of Stephen Jasionowski that this option is not in the coming release?

- Is there a time schedule when this option available?

- Is there a list of coming features of the new nprinting release?
I hope you can give me some ideas.
Regards,

Wouter

Not applicable

Hi Stephen

Any further update on what is in the June feature release? Its now May 

michael_sung
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi Stephen,

Can I ask why the cycle function is not in the list of "Known limitations" in the Nprinting 17.3.1 release notes?

The reason I ask this is because I can only upgrade to version 17 once this feature is reinstated, if is was stated in Known limitations list then it would save me the time and effort searching the community forum to check.

Would it be possible to have cycle feature listed as a Known limitation please?