Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Qlik Sense Cloud: Connect to MySQL without using Desktop?

Apologies if this is answered definitively somewhere already, I've looked and haven't gotten a recent confirmed answer.

I'm helping a group that is really keen on being as much in the cloud as possible and so the recent Qlik Sense Cloud Business tier announcement got them excited since collaboration features are important for them.  They have data sitting in a MySQL instance in Amazon RDS that they want to use, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to establish a connection from within the browser to MySQL.  I've found some previous threads saying this wasn't possible, but that it would be possible in a future release.

Am I missing something obvious here in the interface? I've seen the video for how to connect Qlik Sense Enterprise to Amazon RDS in the browser.  Is that possible with Qlik Sense Cloud or do you have to use Qlik Sense Desktop to do the initial connection and load the data and then push up to Qlik Sense Cloud?

Thanks in advance for any help here.

12 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

After a weekend of working through documentation, I'm still not certain on this.

Reaching out to some community MVP's to see if they know: mayilvahananmtostalwar1nicole_kowalskyswuehl

Any pointers on this would be much appreciated.   Thanks for your help.

MK9885
Master II
Master II

Qliksense connector for Mysql Community Edition?

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/connectors/Subsystems/ODBC_connector_help/Content/1.1/MySQL/Create-MySQL...

I believe you should be able to connect as along as the connector is installed.

I can connect to Oracle DB thru cloud but I' using OLEDB. In your case i think it will be ODBC?

Correct me if I misunderstood you.

Thanks.

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Jason,

Thanks for your question, this is not possible yet with Qlik Sense Cloud, but is being worked on. The plan is to have additional drivers such as ODBC to connect to source such as this, however I do not have any more information on when this will be available. I have informed our products team to see if they have any additional information.

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Regards,

Michael Tarallo (@mtarallo) | Twitter

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Michael.  Appreciate the feedback.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

mto‌ Sorry to resurrect this question, but the group I'm working with just sent me the following Qlik ad they are seeing and want to understand what option we're missing here in terms of an all-cloud solution?  Is this referencing Qlik Sense Enterprise?

Qlik - If a BI tool requires a desktop download, can you... | Facebook

screenshot.png

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

So this is a subtle, fun, yet aggressive marketing tactic that is pointing at our competition. Our competition claims to have a "cloud" solution - but in order to do "more things" - you need to install their desktop product as well, which really isn't a "pure cloud solution". With Qlik Sense - you have options - Qlik Sense Enterprise - installed on premise, or in your private cloud or hosted cloud. Qlik Sense Cloud Basic, Plus, Business - hosted cloud by us. All the versions do exactly the same thing when it comes to analytics, creation, visualization, data storytelling etc. The differences are in the way they are deployed, managed, secured and governed and what types of data sources are available. We also have Qlik Sense Desktop - which is really a freemium product (fully functional) for personal use, individual business use, local desktop use etc. However, Qlik Sense Enterprise users can now authenticate their Desktop product by using their Enterprise Credentials and receive product support on Desktop -where as in the past - if you were developing on Desktop - you had to deploy to Enterprise first before getting support etc. So it adds a support relationship with Qlik for Enterprise users that want to use Desktop to develop before deploying. Though - you can develop everything right in your browser without the need for Desktop.

Hope this is clear, let me know if I need to explain further.

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Appreciate the additional context, thanks Michael. 

Just so I'm solid on the info. I take back to my clients - if we want a cloud solution where we're not managing hardware (SaaS) it's going to be Qlik Sense Cloud, but getting the data hooked up will require installing and using Qlik Sense Desktop to build those connections and then upload those up to Qlik Sense Cloud (except in the case of Excel/CSV files).

Alternatively, we can explore Qlik Sense Enterprise hosted in the cloud which would give us the ability to establish data connections in the browser without needing to install Qlik Sense Desktop, however we'd be responsible for managing the infrastructure Qlik Sense Enterprise is hosted on.

Want to make sure I'm not inaccurate or over simplifying here.

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Jason - I hear you - I will address this each part:

Just so I'm solid on the info. I take back to my clients - if we want a cloud solution where we're not managing hardware (SaaS) it's going to be Qlik Sense Cloud, but getting the data hooked up will require installing and using Qlik Sense Desktop to build those connections and then upload those up to Qlik Sense Cloud (except in the case of Excel/CSV files).

So for the first part, Yes (Qlik Sense Cloud Business - not managing hardward)  - BUT - there is only so many data sources available in QSCB at this time,with more becoming available. Uploaded files, Salesforce, REST, and Web Connectors (Facebook,Twitter,Google Analytics) - and file currently need to be manually uploaded - thought there are some creative solution built by others that are stop-gaps at the moment. You would not need to use Qlik Sense Desktop at all - you can build directly within your browser or table. NOW - If you need access to RDBMS and other data that QSCB currently does not have access to - you could create the app with Desktop / Enterprise  - and upload the completed .qvf file to be used as a completed Qlik Sense application for analysis over the web with just a browser computer / tablet / smart phone.  You could also edit the charts and visualizations, but you would not be able to refresh or reload the data - since the data source (unless files) are not available on QSCB.

Alternatively, we can explore Qlik Sense Enterprise hosted in the cloud which would give us the ability to establish data connections in the browser without needing to install Qlik Sense Desktop, however we'd be responsible for managing the infrastructure Qlik Sense Enterprise is hosted on.

Correct.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Regards,

Michael Tarallo (@mtarallo) | Twitter

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
David1
Contributor
Contributor

Since more than a year has passed, I would like to know if Cloud / Bussiness are still unable to connect to RDBMS like MySQL.

Thank you