Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
toddprete
Contributor II
Contributor II

Cannot Open file when tying to Store to a QVD

Hello,

I have an existing qlik sense app that runs once a month, that sometimes fails when trying to store the data to the QVD.   Now the QVD is locked.   The process is trying to store @ 11 million records.   I have many other scripts that run successful but are much smaller in size.  I've pasted part of the log below. 

2017-05-01 09:33:10 0182 STORE MAC_TABLE INTO  S:\Data Files\QVDFiles\RACE\GDW\MONTHLY_ACTIVE_CONTRACT_QVD.QVD

2017-05-01 09:33:20      Error: Cannot open file: 'S:\Data Files\QVDFiles\RACE\GDW\MONTHLY_ACTIVE_CONTRACT_QVD.QVD'

2017-05-01 09:33:20      Execution Failed

2017-05-01 09:33:20      Execution finished.

12 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try putting a sleep(9000) after the Store command.

I have found that when storing large qvd's the script often needs a pause to ensure everything is truly flushed from cache to disc before continuing.

toddprete
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Bill, should I put the sleep before or after the store.   The error indicates the app failed on the Store and thus would not get to the sleep if I put it after the store. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

After the Store.  I know it sounds a bit counter intuitive, but it has often worked for me.

toddprete
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Bill,

I'm still trying to test your solution, but I can't seem to unlock the QVD that became locked when the issue occurred.  I did have my IT group restart the QLIK Sense services, but that did not unlock the QVD.   Any suggestions on how to unlock a QVD

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes when thing crash out / get terminated untidily then you can get left with zombie processes that are not actually still doing anything per se, but can still have active residual locks.

First I would close all the Qlik windows on your session and look for / kill any residual Qlik processes.

If no joy with that then look for any potential zombies from any other users.

If still no joy then restart the server where the QVD file resides.

toddprete
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I'm a little concerned about closing any residual qlik processes and/or zombies, as I don't want to kill something that is actually needed.    any hints to what a zombie looks like?

Also, are you saying that simply restarted the service will not kill the lock, instead I need to restart the server?

Anonymous
Not applicable

It depends what created the lock.  You could first try restarting the Services.

toddprete
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I've restarted the services twice.   Is there more than one service I need to restart.  Maybe, I'm not starting the correct service.   What exactly is the name(s) of the qlik sense services I need to restart?   Bill, I really appreciating you help with this issue.    thank you very much

Anonymous
Not applicable

Then the blunt way is to restart the server where the QVD file resides,