Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Activating the QV Server License

I have a question about issuing our QlikView Small Business Edition Server license.

When I try to activate the license in QMC under System>Licenses>Qlikview Server, I got "Failed to retrieve CAL configuration from QlikView Server" error.

I validated that;

• The service account is part of local Admin/QlikView Administrators group and the account is added into that group and the info is reflected to OS.
  • The server does have a static IP

Are there any other things that I'm missing?
That would be great if you can help me.
Kind regards,

22 Replies
awhitfield
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

1 Ensure that QVS Service is running

2. enter your licence code and control no.

3. paste the lef details into the window

4. click on APPLY LICENCE - DO NOT click on Update License from Server

Andy

Not applicable
Author

Hi stabben23‌, nope it's not used on another server.

Not applicable
Author

Hi awhitfield‌, thanks for your reply.

But unfortunately, I also click "Apply License" and get an error. (Update License From Server is a deactive button)

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

No I don't think so. That's just the QMS trying to read its own set of configuration files which may not even exist yet because you haven't done much in the QMC.

But the next two messages are more useful. QMS tries to make successive connections to the configured QVS to get hold of CAL assignments and service configuration. These connections fail. As long as these communication problems exist, you won't be able to license the QlikView services.

Is your QMS Log level set to "Debug Logging"? If not (see QMC->System->Setup->Management Service->General->Logging Level), please select Debug Logging and restart the services.

Can you also post a screenshot of the services control panel item, scrolled down to list the QlikView services. Please include the "Log on as" column.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

"Update license" will only become active after you have entered a valid license registration at least once. Otherwise it doesn't serve any purpose...

Not applicable
Author

OK, now I switched to a debug mode and attached the latest logs from both Administartor account and user account:

Log from user account: https://jpst.it/YXPJ

Log from admin account: https://jpst.it/YXQ4

Also here's the ss from services control

Screenshot_11.png

awhitfield
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

You don't want your services running as LOCAL SYSTEM, you should have a specific user that is both a member of local ADMINISTRATOR and QLIKVIEW ADMINISTRATORS groups!

Andy

Not applicable
Author

I actually added the users that I'm logging into the server to QV Administrators group, by running 'compmgmt.msc'.

But how should I non run the services as Local System but within the correct one?

awhitfield
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Better create a new (domaijn) service account that has a password that doesn't expire and doesn't need to be modified on first logon. Add this account to Local Administrators and QlikView Administrators groups on the QlikView Server machine.

Then open the services control panel, and for every QlikView service, right-click the entry, select Propterites, navigate to the Log On tab and change the "Log on as" setting to "This account" instead of Local Systeml account". Enter the service account credentials or browse to the account details in AD. Then enter the password twice an click OK.

Or way easier: create the service account as detailed above, uninstall all QlikView services and reinstall QlikView services. Specify the service account credentials when asked for a user to run the services.

Best,

Peter