Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

TheQuestion ...

Hi, guys. I'm sorry for my simple question, I'm new in QV. There're 2 question wich I can't understand!
1) In what level we should use SQL-script and what is the different between LOAD & SELECT?
2) I have the next columns (ID, NAme, Age, Weight) in Table1. I need to count, how many peoples are 25, 28 , 43 ... years old and show it on Histogram in QV.

Thanks to all!

6 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

1) Maybe this is a good start for explaining how to load data into Qlik:

LOAD data into QlikView

2) You can just try a Dimension Age and an Expression

=Count(DISTINCT ID)

Not applicable
Author

Hi, Stefan.
First of all, I want to thak you for your answer and for the book.
If it's possible and you have any free time, I can you explain me th answer for my second question.
I know how to solve this task in SQL-Server. The solution for this task looks like this:
Select Count(Users.Age) from dbo.Users
Group By (Age).

But in QV it's not working and I can't to find any good way for solving it! 

swuehl
MVP
MVP

What exactely is not working?

1) Start with loading in your data. Are you using a simple single table or a more complex data model?

There are free tutorials that get's you started with the basics:

New to QlikView

There are also a lot of stuff here in the forum, but it may not easy to find, start with this if you are interested in data modelling:

Get started with developing qlik datamodels

Or even better, get a copy of a good book:

Books and literature

2) If you have successfully loaded your data in an appropriate model (a simple table may be enough to start), you can create chart objects.

Don't use any SQL syntax in chart objects, only QV functions allowed.

User Age as your dimension field, and an aggregation as expression:

=Count(Age)

or

=Count(DISTINCT ID)

(it's depending on your data model and requirements, what you need to use).

Not applicable
Author

Thanks a lot, Stefan for your help!

Not applicable
Author

About My Data Model.

I have 8 Excel Documents. All these Documents are linked together. I can get everything I want without any SQL-script, but it's to intersting for Me, how can I use SQL-scripts or should I use them in this type of Data?!

This's my big problem! )

swuehl
MVP
MVP

You can of course use SQL statements in your script, but this will lead to static answers to your business questions (i.e. answers are written in your data model).

The nice thing about the Qlik associative data model is that it's dynamic, responsive to user selections.

Not sure if you are way above this, but I would recommend that you attend the webinars or get a copy of 'QV11 for developers' which is highly recommended, to experience what Qlik is all about.