cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmarchese
Creator II
Creator II

How to use count() on a joined field?

I made an app in Qlik Sense Desktop that references a few tables in a SQL Server database.  The two relevant tables are:

• countLog - the main table, with millions of rows.  One of the columns is reasonID, which is an integer.
  • reasonComplete - a small lookup table with reasonID as the primary key and a few other columns providing info about each reason.

In the data manager, I joined those two tables without a problem.  In my worksheet, I added two pie charts, which are shown below.  Their title shows the dimension and measure they each use.  The chart on the left works as expected.  It shows the frequency of each reasonID.  The second chart should show the same thing, but with reason text instead of integers.  But it doesn't; it just shows every possible reason with an equal slice of the pie. 

This is a piece of cake in SQL (see SQL statement below), but I'm struggling with it here.  I fear that the "associative data engine" means I have no control over the joining process and thus get unpredictable results, but hopefully, I'm wrong.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

The code that does what I want in SQL:

SELECT reason, COUNT(*) AS [count]

FROM countLog AS c

JOIN reasonComplete AS r ON r.reasonID = c.reasonID

GROUP BY reason

ORDER BY COUNT(*) DESC

pie charts.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mmarchese
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I just read Joins and Lookups

It did not alleviate my fears about Qlik's mysteriousness:

The association can be evaluated to a left join or a right join depending on where the user has made a selection. And with no selection, the association is always evaluated to a full outer join.

Anyway, this part seems to explain what is happening here:

If the aggregation is a simple Sum(X), then QlikView will loop over the records of the table where the

field X is found, summing X. But if the expression is Sum (X*Y) and X and Y are found in different tables, then QlikView has to perform the join in memory generating a virtual table over which the summation will be made.

The dimension and measure I'm using in the second pie chart are both available in the reasonComplete table, so QS doesn't bother joining it to countLog.  It just looks at the tiny reasonComplete table and heads to the beach to relax.  If I could tell QS that what I care about is the reasonID from countLog, it'd probably work, but I don't see any way to do that from the worksheet.  I tried this, but it's invalid:

count([countLog.reasonID])

Is there some other way to force it to take countLog into account?

EDIT: yes, there is a way and it's easy!

Just have it count a field that's in countLog but NOT reasonComplete:

solved pies.png

The field used is irrelevant as long as it's in the table you want to join to and not in the same table as the dimension.

END OF EDIT

Otherwise, that article leads me to believe that these are my options, none of which is particularly appealing:

1. Join the tables using the source DB prior to Qlik data load
  2. Join the tables using the source DB during Qlik data load
  3. Join the tables with Qlik during data load
  4. Join the tables with Qlik during data load, but use the Keep prefix so that the tables are joined on demand instead of ahead of time.  This probably wouldn't even help, because just like in the current situation, Qlik probably wouldn't see a reason to trigger the join.
  5. Use apply_map() or lookup() during Qlik data load to replace reasonID with reason.  I don't know how this works under the hood, so I don't know how bad the memory penalty is (reason is way bigger than reasonID).  It also only gets you one field from the lookup table instead of all of them.

Anyone have any guidance?

View solution in original post

5 Replies
lironbaram
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

hi

just use the same expression in the right chart and everything will work right

the engine connects the table as full outer join

but what you did in the right chart

you counted the text field , so the result you got is right , because the table aren't joined together in the script

so each text appears once in the model , because the engine connected the tables

you can use dimension from any table with measure from different table , as long as they are connected

mmarchese
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I just tried it and there was no change:pie charts2.png

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Can you post a picture of your data model with tables expanded to show the field names?

-Rob

mmarchese
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Sure, here it is.  I'd upload the whole qvf file, but it's 50 MB.  Also, I don't see why it would matter, but in the source database, countLog is an actual table, whereas the other three are views.

data model.png

mmarchese
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I just read Joins and Lookups

It did not alleviate my fears about Qlik's mysteriousness:

The association can be evaluated to a left join or a right join depending on where the user has made a selection. And with no selection, the association is always evaluated to a full outer join.

Anyway, this part seems to explain what is happening here:

If the aggregation is a simple Sum(X), then QlikView will loop over the records of the table where the

field X is found, summing X. But if the expression is Sum (X*Y) and X and Y are found in different tables, then QlikView has to perform the join in memory generating a virtual table over which the summation will be made.

The dimension and measure I'm using in the second pie chart are both available in the reasonComplete table, so QS doesn't bother joining it to countLog.  It just looks at the tiny reasonComplete table and heads to the beach to relax.  If I could tell QS that what I care about is the reasonID from countLog, it'd probably work, but I don't see any way to do that from the worksheet.  I tried this, but it's invalid:

count([countLog.reasonID])

Is there some other way to force it to take countLog into account?

EDIT: yes, there is a way and it's easy!

Just have it count a field that's in countLog but NOT reasonComplete:

solved pies.png

The field used is irrelevant as long as it's in the table you want to join to and not in the same table as the dimension.

END OF EDIT

Otherwise, that article leads me to believe that these are my options, none of which is particularly appealing:

1. Join the tables using the source DB prior to Qlik data load
  2. Join the tables using the source DB during Qlik data load
  3. Join the tables with Qlik during data load
  4. Join the tables with Qlik during data load, but use the Keep prefix so that the tables are joined on demand instead of ahead of time.  This probably wouldn't even help, because just like in the current situation, Qlik probably wouldn't see a reason to trigger the join.
  5. Use apply_map() or lookup() during Qlik data load to replace reasonID with reason.  I don't know how this works under the hood, so I don't know how bad the memory penalty is (reason is way bigger than reasonID).  It also only gets you one field from the lookup table instead of all of them.

Anyone have any guidance?