cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Standardize values in a "Region" field

Hi All,

I have a Region field in my Eloqua data base with around 302 values. However the way it is stored is

There are a values with upper case and lower case eg: UNITED STATES, United States and unites states. Similarly for VIETNAM and Vietnam  would like to have a standardized format for these values.

How can this be achieved?

9 Replies
vishsaggi
Champion III
Champion III

May be try this:

LOAD Upper(Region) AS Region inline [

Region

United States

UNITED STATES

United KINGDOM

Virgin Islands, British

Virgin ISLANDS, U.s.

Virgin ISLANDS, U.s.

UZBEKISTAN

Uzbekistan

];

Then use Region as Listbox, it would display distinct Regions. If your requirement is different please elaborate a little.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Vishwarath,

Thank you for your response. the use of inline is  manual entry in Load script. However If a user enters a new region I will have to update this manually which I am not looking to have. Is there a different method where I don't have to update the field manually.

Anil_Babu_Samineni

When you talk about Manually, You can do this? Check as per your need. I am sure Viswanath solutions works if not you would provide output also if you know

LOAD If(SubStringCount(Region, 'United States'), 'UNITED STATES',If(SubStringCount(Region, 'Vietnam'), 'VIETNAM',Region)) AS Region, Capitalize(Region) as Region1 inline [

Region

United States

UNITED STATES

United KINGDOM

Virgin Islands, British

Virgin ISLANDS, U.s.

Virgin ISLANDS, U.s.

UZBEKISTAN

Uzbekistan

VIETNAM

Vietnam

];

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
vishsaggi
Champion III
Champion III

I just showed you an example using Inline. In your actual load script just use like below where you have the Region field coming. Like below:

LOAD col1,

col2,

Upper(Region) AS Region,

Col4....

FROM yourdatasourcename;

Not applicable
Author

Hi Ajinkya

I think he means you should input 'Upper(Region)  as Region '  when you load the source data. Therefore  all the  values of  'Region'  will in Uppercase.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Great got it Bob!. Thank you so much. It worked. All I had to do is use UPPER(Region) as Region.

One other question I have is there are some values like below which needs to be renamed. How should I rename it and as well as keep the Capitalization intact

IN
INDIA

UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLAND
UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
PrashantSangle

Hi,

If possible maintain a mapper table which have this combination.

Regards,

Prashant

Great dreamer's dreams never fulfilled, they are always transcended.
Please appreciate our Qlik community members by giving Kudos for sharing their time for your query. If your query is answered, please mark the topic as resolved 🙂
Not applicable
Author

Hi Ajinkya

I think it's good to make a mapping table.

Mapping table:

load * inline

[ Region,Region2

US,US

IN,INDIA

UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLAND,UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS ] ;

Then ' Region2' will be  the dimension you want .

Regards

Bob

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Note that if your source system grows and doesn't impose limitations on the allowed Region field values, it's close to impossible to create a solution that handles all possible anomalies now and in the future. There are too many possibilities (a single missing punctuation mark will create a new entry)

You will end up with manual work (either in script code, in an include file, in a specific translation/mapping table in a DB or in an Excel) in any case.