Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ali_hijazi
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

what is the difference between named cals and document Cals

hello

can someone explain to me what is the difference between the named cals and the document cals

I can walk on water when it freezes
5 Replies
erichshiino
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

There is a good explanation here :

http://community.qlik.com/message/14653#14653

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

From the QlikView Server Reference

There are four different types of CALs available:

1. Named CAL (an identified user on a server) – Access is based on user identity and valid for all documents on the server, that is any number of concurrent sessions from one user on one machine at a time is allowed.
  2. Document CAL (an identified user within a given document) – Just as above, the access is based on user identity, but the CAL is valid only for one document. If the same user connects to two documents using this licensing method, he will hence consume two Document CALs.
  3. Session CAL – Each Session CAL allows one user on one computer to access QlikView documents, that is any number of concurrent sessions from one user on one machine at a time is allowed. Anonymous users are allowed, no identification of the client user is necessary.
  4. Usage CAL – Each Usage CAL gives the right to initiate one session (single document) per running 28-day period. The session may last a maximum of one hour. Any activity after the first hour has expired will count as a new session (albeit without visible interruption). No identification of the client user is necessary.

Document CAL doesnt allow License leasing so you are not going to be able to develop with that CAL, just with a named CAL.

ali_hijazi
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II
Author

ok fine you answer clarified the issue however I'm facing a problem on the client's server now

I have a source document that is reduced and distributed to specified users on the domain (active directory users)

I made QVS create a single document for every user in the reduction (based on a field)

these users do not have named CALs however I have them or assigned them each to his / her document in Documents CALs however whenever any of these users try to open his allocated document this user gets an error saying thhat no User CAls are assigned to his / her user account

I can walk on water when it freezes
danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Check if you have the right user assigned to the right document.

You can try removing the license assigment and allowing for dynamic assigment and see what happens.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

In addition to what Daniel has said, check that the assignment is in the form "DOMAINNAME\Username". Make sure they are using either the Plugin or the AJAX client. The Desktop application cannot lease Document CALs from the server.

Hope that helps.

Miguel Angel Baeyens

BI Consultant

Comex Grupo Ibérica