Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QlikView SNMP error

Hi

I'm having problem with QlikView and SNMP. Not 100% sure what to call the program since the problem is with our clients server and we're hosting it. Server is Windows Server 2012 R2 and programs and features shows these apps installed:

QlikView NPrinting Designer

QlikView NPrinting Server

QlikView Server x64

QlikView X64

And for the actual problem: we cannot monitor this server (where QlikView is installed) with SNMP. I've tried few tricks which I found on this forum, but still cannot get SNMP working. I am 100% sure that this is because of QlikView, not networking, firewall / other problem.

Tried these tweaks:

- Disable SNMP support for QlikView Server service, add "EnableSNMP" registry key (REG_SZ) in HKLM\SOFTWARE\QlikTech\QlikViewServer\Settings 7 and set it to 0 (zero)

- In v10 to disable SNMP, add the following string in the QlikView Server configuration file ( [Settings 7] paragraph of C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\QlikViewServer\Settings.ini ) => EnableSNMP=0

Also everything what reads in here:

Can I switch off SNMP on QVS?

Re: Disable SNMP in qlikview?

Disable SNMP for QlikView server

Still no go. Any help from you guys or new things / tricks which I could try? Help would be greatly appreciated!

Labels (2)
21 Replies
Not applicable
Author

We have 2 different servers from same client, they are in same VLAN and have parallel IP addresses. They use same firewall and firewall profile (=rules), except this problematic server has a bit "looser" rules (due to testing). SNMP community is also same and other server responds just fine. I checked from our network guy that there should not be any firewall rules between SNMP agent and hosted server. Other network guy also mentioned that he can see that the SNMP requests/packets actually do get to the last switch just before the server.

We are hosting our clients servers and 1 server has these before mentioned QlikView products installed. I believe we do not have a VPN solution for our customer. Not entirely sure. Could check on that actually...

Not applicable
Author

Our network guy just tried nmap problematic servers SNMP port. Indication was that port is open. Funny thing is that when we disabled Windows'es own SNMP service and tried nmapping again, port was still open and responding. And like I said, QlikView SNMP settings have been disabled.

Is this normal behavior?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Try running resmon.exe --> Network --> listening ports on that machine and check which process is actually listening on that port.

edit: see also

networking - How can you find out which process is listening on a port on Windows? - Stack Overflow

Not applicable
Author

SNMP (Windows service) is listening port 161. When that service is disabled, it seems that nothing is listening port 161.

Not applicable
Author

Using resource monitor I can actually see that snmp.exe sends and receives network traffic. This is even though I'm not trying to get a snmp response from it. Perhaps this is programs normal behavioral.

Not applicable
Author

BUMP - anymore ideas what to do / check?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

If I understand correctly, you still have the issue with disabled Qlik services, and you confirmed that the process listening on the port is the Windows SNMP process.

You are able to communicate locally, but you don't get a response when you are trying to get a remote access.

Honestly, it seems to me that this is not a Qlik related issue, so you might be better off if you are requesting help from a Windows / SNMP/ Network forum and / or from experts that know your specific network configuration.

The only one thing left that comes to my mind is to check NPrinting Server, I don't know if this offers SNMP monitoring at all. Just ensure that if it does, disable the service as well.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I agree with Stefan - it looks more and more that something is still blocking traffic somewhere, even with all QlikView services disabled. In your OP you stated that " I am 100% sure that this is because of QlikView, not networking, firewall / other problem.", but that now seems to contradict your later findings as you took Qlik out of the equation at least once and SNMP still didn't work from a remote client.

Did you attempt the local Paessler test with all Qlik services disabled (even NPrinting)?

BTW I checked my notes and there was nothing in them besides the measures that were already discussed/listed before

Not applicable
Author

You are correct, I'm still having issues even though Qlik services were disabled.

Maybe the problem is really somewhere else, don't really know where or what to try next except explain situation again in some Windows server forum and see if someone there has some insight on this.. Thx for your help anyway!

Not applicable
Author

I disabled all services which name started with QlikView, wasn't aware that there was also QlikView service named NPrinting. Anyway, local SNMP test with Paessler worked OK even though that service was running.

Soooo, I'm guessing that next step is Windows Server forum. Thx for help!