cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating -prj folder makes application inaccessable personal edition

Hi,

Am using a personal edition and when am trying to create -prj folder of my existing qvws, and after opening and saving the document,

when I try to open the document it goes inaccessible. Unable to understand what might be happening in the background. Can someone help me? If this is expected behavior or am doing anything wrong??

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

It's a documented limitation of the Personal Edition to not allow import of the document properties stored in the project files, mainly because you need a license if you want to collaborate on applications (and this would be possible if full project exchange would be possible). That's for the why (and I hope it also explains the how part).

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If you think about it, it seems logical that the -prj approach is unusable in a PE QV Desktop. Otherwise you would be able to easily circumvent the single limitation of a PE QV Desktop: no opening of documents created by others.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Donno how it sounds, but can we create qlikview app from the -prj folder?? I didn't get the logic here, why i should not be able to access the files I created. Can you please give some information

swuehl
MVP
MVP

I think Peter is absolutely right here.

The PE FAQ says:

• You cannot import an entire document layout (sheets/objects/security settings, etc. without the data) into QlikView Personal Edition.

Personal Edition FAQs

If I remember correctly, the import of properties will be done automatically when you open a QVW file and QlikView finds the -prj folder.

Try renaming / removing the folder before opening the QVW.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Yeah Stefan, am able to open the application once I changed the prj folder. But still unable to understand why and how this happens. Thank you, Peter and Stefan, for your time.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

It's a documented limitation of the Personal Edition to not allow import of the document properties stored in the project files, mainly because you need a license if you want to collaborate on applications (and this would be possible if full project exchange would be possible). That's for the why (and I hope it also explains the how part).