Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to Code Qlik qvd

Hey mto‌‌‌

I am absolutely new in Qlik family. I know Qlik has its its own scripting language(similar to SQL, but its not SQL). Qlik's drag and drop method is good enough to create basic level dashboards. But, I want to create more configurable and robust apps in Qlik. To know full potential of Qlik, It is important to learn how can I script in Data Load Editor.

Question 1.

I want to know good sources from where I can learn how to use script functions in Qlik.

like : video, Online-training, books, etc

Question 2.

How can I use SQL.

Like : if I want to write SQL scripts in Data Load Editor(not Qlik script function). what are the steps I need to follow. I see it is not exactly similar to what we use for querying in SQL-DBs

-Saurav

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ahaahaaha
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi Saurav,

Question 1.

You can start from here Load ‒ QlikView

Question 2.

The opportunity of using the syntax of language SQL in Qlik scripts is limited by the capabilities of drivers SQL and is different for different drivers. In general, it is considered good practice to use language Qlik in scripts.

Regards,

Andrey

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ahaahaaha
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi Saurav,

Question 1.

You can start from here Load ‒ QlikView

Question 2.

The opportunity of using the syntax of language SQL in Qlik scripts is limited by the capabilities of drivers SQL and is different for different drivers. In general, it is considered good practice to use language Qlik in scripts.

Regards,

Andrey

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Saurav, (thanks for tagging me and letting me aware of your question)

Additional information on getting started with QlikView can be found here:

Qlik Sense here:

In regards to your questions - it is not necessarily the case to use data load script to create advanced and exciting interactive dashboards - data load script - is used to load data into the qlik data model and there are also a variety of chart functions that are used after the data load - and these are used as expressions either in the Measure or Dimension settings of the chart object. So it greatly depends on your needs. We also have a robust set of APIs where you can create almost anything - limited to your imagination.

Here is a great example of use Qlik APIs to create a chat bot: Push the Boundaries of Analytics - Qlik Sense Bot (video)

FOR SQL - you really only need to load the base tables using simple selects - you DO NOT NEED aggregation functions, order or group functions, sub-selects - correlated sub-queries etc. At times you may want to use advanced SQL - for specific needs - perhaps to output data to a QVD (file based representation of the compressed Qlik in-memory data model used to quickly load data into a Qlik app - instead of from the source) - but for the most part it is not necessary.

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Regards,

Michael Tarallo (@mtarallo) | Twitter

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik