Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlik Sense Backup

We run nightly Veeam backups of our Qlik Sense environment.

The backups consist of:

• The entire VM (VMDK file)
  • Individual Windows folders

Reading through the documentation provided by Qlik, it is suggested to execute a "pg_dump" for the postgreSQL repository database.

In our instance, considering we backup our entire Server nightly, is this a necessary step?

Does anyone else's backup process differ from the Qlik documentation?

Thanks!

9 Replies
kevincase
Creator II
Creator II

Joshua,

We are running in a VM environment and found that there could be application corruption when restoring from a VM backup as an application could be in use when the backup took place. (At least with version 2.2.4).

To avoid this, we implemented Repository Snapshot Manager (RSM) as a backup methodology.  You can find documentation for this here in the Qlik community.  It is supplied and supported by Qlik so support is available.

It is simple to implement and will backup your entire Qlik environment, QVD's and all!  If you ever need to retrieve and older version of an application it is as simple as importing the backed up application from the backup area.  It is clean and reliable.  It does shutdown the Qlik services when backing up so it must be done 'off hours'.

I would highly recommend this approach.  Easy to implement and execute from a batch file.

Oh, this also backs up the Postgres database as well.  It can also re-install the software in the case of a complete loss.

Hope this helps!

Kevin

Not applicable
Author

Kevin,

Thank you for responding.

I did come across the bit about the RSM, however with the June 2017 release of Qlik Sense, the RSM is no longer supported with shared persistence... not sure if that is going to change or not, but I will keep it in mind.

Josh

barry_stevens
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

At one of our client sites we back up using the process described in this article 'Backing up a site manually ‒ Qlik Sense' - The files that are created are saved on a separate drive and are backed up using the standard disk backup up they do plus the server is also backed up. 

As with all backups, it is no good unless you have proven a recovery works, so no matter which way you chose make sure you test you recovery process.

Not applicable
Author

Barry,

Good point, probably going to test our backup capabilities in our environment here soon.

Thanks for the guidance,

Josh

kevincase
Creator II
Creator II

Josh,

I spoke to support this morning about an upgrade to 3.2.4 and mentioned your comment about RSM not being supported with shared persistence after the June release.  He was unaware of this so I'm not sure where you obtained this information.

Just curious?

Kevin

barry_stevens
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Kevin

I was also under the impression that the RSM didn't support Shared Persistence - tried it on my demo box and on customer site - the backup appeared to the work but the restore didn't - hence why we wrote a script as per my other response.

Barry

kevincase
Creator II
Creator II

Barry,

Guess you are right.  Thanks for the heads up!  I'm in the process of upgrading from 2.2.4 to 3.2.  This will require us to turn on shared persistence so this is definitely going to be an issue for me as I use RSM for backups.

Thanks again.

Kevin

Not applicable
Author

I also had gone through qlik documentation of backing up a qlik sense. But I found script to backup here it is

# First drop all the restrictions on script execution

Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

$Today = Get-Date -UFormat “%Y%m%d_%H%M”

$StartTime = Get-Date -UFormat “%Y%m%d_%H%M”

$PostGreSQLLocation = “D:\Program         Files\Qlik\Sense\Repository\PostgreSQL\9.3\bin”
   $PostGresBackupTarget = “D:\Backups\Qlik”
   $SenseProgramData = “D:\QlikShared\” # Shared Persistance Folder

$Today = Get-Date -UFormat “%Y%m%d_%H%M”

$StartTime = Get-Date -UFormat “%Y%m%d_%H%M”

# –blobs , exclude for now

Please follow this for more script code Backup Qlik Sense

barry_stevens
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Yup that looks like our code - OptimalBI

Sent from my iPhone