Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Eliminate Null Dimensions

I created a bar graph that is a sum by month of the current month plus the previous 12 months.  Now I want to remove the months that have no values. I already tried going into PROPERTIES => DIMENSIONS => And Checking the box that says Suppress When Value Is Null.  This did not work.  Any idea how to remove the blank months?

Formula:

=NUM(SUM({$<[Month End Date]={">=$(=MonthStart(AddMonths(Max([Month End Date]),-12))) <$(=MonthEnd(Max([Month End Date]),+1))"}, [Fact Setup ID]={"576817","576818","576819","576820","576821","401258"}>} [Metric Value]), '###,##0')

Thanks,

Seth

7 Replies
sunny_talwar

Maybe check 'Suppress Zero Value' on the presentation tab

Gysbert_Wassenaar

You're using two dimensions. In that case space will be reserved for each month even if there is a value for a month in only one of the two years. If you don't want that then you must use a single dimension. Something like =Year & '-' & Month

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

I also have the Suppress Zero Value checked in the presentation tab.

I want the year and month as 2 separate dimensions so it shows the summed values in chronological order.  If I remove the year dimension then the chart orders the months as Jan - Dec and rolls up the 1 overlapping month into a single summed value.  Is there no way around this?  This is something basic that can be done in an excel graph. 

Not applicable
Author

I see what you are saying creating a "Year"&-&"Month" field.  I just don't think that looks as nice.  Is that the only way?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Yes.

Not applicable
Author

So if I use the 1 dimension how do I sort it so the months are in chronological order?  It's like when I combined the month and year it can only see the month as text and wants to put it in alpha order.  I would prefer not to use the month number unless that is my only option.  I have tried a few different sort unsuccessfully.  Thanks.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

You seem to have a [Month End Date] field. You can use that as dimension and format it a bit: Date([Month End Date], 'YYYY-MMM'). If you sort that dimension numerically you'll get the sort order you want.