Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
divya_anand
Creator III
Creator III

Freezing data month wise for a bar chart

Hi all,

I am in an unusual situation, I hope someone can help me on this.

I have an application where I have a bar chart, and there could be situations where the data could change with time.

For example, when I check the data in March we will have this: Jan=10, Feb=22, Mar=3

and when I check for the same data in April: Jan=12, Feb=24, Mar=9

So this data is changing based on the inputs made by the people. I am looking for a solution where I can freeze this data end of every month. That is, it should show Jan=10, Feb=22, Mar=3 irrespective of the changes made in the following months.

I understand QlikView pulls the data as it is from the source, but if anybody knows a solution to hold this data still as on the last day of the respective months, would be really great!

Thank you.

Let me know in case you need more information on this.

5 Replies
RonaldDoes
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Divya,

You could store the historical data into a QVD each month and just load data for the current month from your source system.

That would satisfy your requirements.

If you can provide an example of your app, I could suggest the proper adjustment of the script or you could just search for STORE QVD for more information on storing tables as QVD's in your script.

With kind regards,

Ronald

divya_anand
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Ronald,

Thank you for the response.

I understand what you mean, so now when I store the historical data into a new QVD, in the bar chart I use Month as my dimension and 3 expressions as 3 bars. so how do I handle the case where I need historical data for previous months and current data for current month, all in 1 chart?

RonaldDoes
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

You load the historical data from the QVD's and (only) the current data from your source system into the data model of your QVW. All data would then be available for your visualizations in much the same way as it is now.

vinieme12
Champion III
Champion III

By example this is what you should be doing to retain the data

in Jan  >> Create a QVD say 2017archive.QVD

in Feb   >> Load data only for FEB from source system and concatenate with 2017archive.QVD and overwrite 2017archive.QVD

in Mar >> Load data only for March from source system and concatenate with 2017archive.QVD  2017archive.QVD

and the process continues!

Vineeth Pujari
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.
divya_anand
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thank you all for the quick responses, I'll try this and get back soon.