Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fabricecallegar
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Longitude and latitude to an area (KML)

Hello,

I use Qlik Sense.

I have data with longitude and latitude and I want to associate these points to areas come from a KML file.

Is it possible to do that ?

Is there a function to know in witch area belong a point ?

Thank for your help

Fabrice

15 Replies
ahaahaaha
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

File KML has a fairly rigid structure. I opened it in a text editor and completely deleted some of the data, as it were, reducing the polygons. At the same time, the accuracy of the envelope of the points of the regions decreased, but was quite acceptable for visualization.

ahaahaaha
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

The main thing is that this idea is tested in practice and works.

ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

What did you use for the reduction?  Ive tried to use a number of tools to reduce it and I come across memory issues.

ahaahaaha
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

If the amount of data was small, then I edited the file manually in a text editor. For large volumes, I downloaded the file as text in QlikView and set the algorithm by which the data was deleted by whole polygons. Then the file was uploaded to the format QVD. I loaded data in Qlik Sense  already from QVD files.

The use for formation QVD files of QlikView is due to the fact that calculations of this class at QlikView are faster than in Qlik Sense.

ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

In the end I used the funciton GeoReduceGeometry() on Area in the load script and it did the trick.

ahaahaaha
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Excellent, then Qlik Sense in your case "sufficed hypercubes" and this is very good  🙂 In my case, I had to cut data by almost 30% using the method of "scientific poke" (I want to clarify the translation. We say so when not fully certainty what to do).