Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
teempi
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Dramatic drop in Access Point performance

Hey all,

One of our customers is having huge performance issues when using QV documents via Access Point and IE plugin. A document that opened in ~10 seconds a few weeks ago now takes up to 3 minutes to open. Also selecting something on the report can take up to 20 seconds. The funny thing is that if I try to open it myself (outside the company's network via VPN) it loads in about 10 seconds and selecting things don't take nearly as long.

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this? The customer is using Qlikview Server 10 SR2 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

-Teemu

6 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Teemu,

If you use QlikView IE Plugin with port 4747 open, the client and the server communicates directly (IE Plugin -> Server). That makes the rendering of reports considerably faster. However, if the port is closed, then the communication falls back to port 80, which means conversion of data and a WebServer in the middle (IE Plugin -> WebServer -> Server). It's called tunnelization and you can find further about this in the Server Reference Manual.

Is there any chance that you customer's server has this port closed or new firewall rules in Windows or any new network device or software that can be filtering?

Hope that helps.

Miguel Angel Baeyens

BI Consultant

Comex Grupo Ibérica

teempi
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Thank you for the response!

Port 4747 _should_ be open. I'll try digging a bit deeper.

I tried using the report again and it still takes about 15 seconds to open. Even the QV demo documents take a long time to load. The Ajax client however opens all documents almost instantly.

Btw sometimes I get an error like this when opening a document using IE-plugin:

"qvp://xxx/yyy.qvw?iis_authenticate=somedata&tunneler=http%&3A//xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/scripts/QVSTunnel.dll%3Fhost%3Dlocalhost could not be opened"

What does this mean? Usually after refreshing the page, the document loads just fine.

-Teemu

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Teemu,

That means that when QlikView Server is trying to tunnelize the information, so at a first glance it seems either of the following:

• Port 4747 is not open or accesible by client
  • Tunnelization is forced in the Console (QEMC, System, Setup, QlikView Web Server, Accesspoint, Always Tunnel checked)

In your url the tunnel uses "localhost" as hostname, which will not be accesible outside the own server, so some DNS configuration may not be working properly. Are you using IIS as your webserver instead of QVWS?

Hope that helps.

Miguel Angel Baeyens

BI Consultant

Comex Grupo Ibérica

Not applicable

In an effort to troubleshoot the same issue I selected QVS@[servername] on the AccessPoint configuration page.

My documents fail to load from the client now but when I attempt to re-select "Local", the previous value, the value isn't present.  I tried shutting down the services and editing the config.xml file for the <DefaultQvs> node, setting it to Local, then starting the services again.  Still the value reads QVS@servername

How do I restore the "Local" value for the Name field on the AccessPoint tab in QEMC>System?

Thanks

Not applicable

I found the solution - it's actually the <Name> node, a little further down.

AccessPoint doc retrival IS still slow , 30 seconds to open documents, but they're working again.

Port 4747 is available and being useed by qvs process.  Not sure why they open so slowly.  Powerful server...

Not applicable

Solution to speed: 4747 WAS indeed blocked.  Opened port and times were cut by 1/4