Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Coverting Date from DD/MM/YYYY to MM/YYYY

Hello,

I have a table in which one of the fields is named date. When I uploaded this to Qlik the dates read:

I'm unsure what format this is but I am able to convert this into DD/MM/YYYY using the expression Date(num#(Date,'#')).

This successfully changes the dates and they then read:

01/01/2017

01/02/2017

01/03/2017

But I want to have the dates read just 01/2017, 02/2017...

Is it possible to make the date read in that way? If so, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Alison

27 Replies
sunny_talwar

Not sure what you mean by unpivoting? Are you using The Crosstable Load?

Not applicable
Author

No no, it has worked. Thank you so much!

sunny_talwar

Awesome

Not applicable
Author

Hi Sunny,

Would it be possible for you to explain this script to me, I am having difficulty understanding it and so would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance,

Alison

sunny_talwar

What exactly are you having difficulty understanding? If you can point it out to me, I will probably be able to help you better

Not applicable
Author

I don't understand it in its entirety in all honesty. I don't understand how that commands the date to be displayed as DD/YYYY

sunny_talwar

In the first part I am converting an Pivoted data stored in an Excel into a un pivoted data into QlikView using The Crosstable Load. If you did not get this, then open the link to read more about it.

Income:

CrossTable (MonthYear, Data)

LOAD Income,

[42736],

[42767],

[42795]

FROM .....;

Next, we have the problem that date is read as a number. In fact, the problem is that CrossTable reads all the fields as text. So, 42736, 42767, 42795 are not read as numbers, but text. In order to convert it into number, I have used Num#() function. Now once it is a number, all I needed was a date function to show it as a date, but just to make sure that they are also month start dates, I used MonthStart() function between date() and Num$() functions.

Income_Final:

LOAD Income,

Date(MonthStart(Num#(MonthYear)), 'MM/YYYY') as MonthYear

Data

Resident Income;

DROP Table Income;

Does it help now?

Not applicable
Author

This is very helpful, thank you Sunny