Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How would I go about combining different fields in this certain way..

Hi,

I need to create a table for CSV export at the end of the script, and I have fields from different tables that I need to combine, but not just glue the fields together. Here is what I mean:

SomeField | Year  | Month | Number

1        | 2008 | Jan       | 10

2        | 2008 | Jan       | 14

3        | 2008 | Jan       | 12

1        | 2009 | Jan       | 31

2        | 2009 | Jan       | 24

I hope you get the pattern.

So my problem is: I need to make sort of a crosstable, where i have the months as fields (so the fields would be: SomeField, Year, Jan, Feb, Mar,...) and the the Number would be a value for a particular month.

I have no idea how to go about forming this table. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Siarhei K.

4 Replies
Not applicable
Author

To add some more detail to what I need to get as the result is the following:

The rows from the example would be

1     2008     10(this is Jan)     12(this is Feb)     11(this is Mar)......

2     2008     14 ....

3     2008     12 ....

1     2009     31 ....

2     2009     24 ....

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Have a look at "Generic Load".  Unfortunately, a generic load actually makes a whole bunch of tables with the same key, one field each.  To combine them, you could write a loop to left join each new field onto a single table and drop the associated table.  I have an example of the generic load, but not of combining into a single table.  I've SEEN one, though, so perhaps you can find it with a forum search.  If not, I can either find it or create my own example.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you, John, that gave me some ideas. However, the way I'm thinking of solving my problem would be veeeery slow, O(n^4), which depends on the number of fields I have before the cross-tab switch (when the months' fields start).

Thanks again.

Siarhei K.

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I've updated the example to include joining all of the tables into one.

[Final]:
LOAD DISTINCT "Invoice No." // add other key fields to this list
RESIDENT [Table]
;
FOR I = nooftables() TO 0 STEP -1
    LET vTable = tablename(I);
    IF  wildmatch('$(vTable)','Generic.*') THEN
        OUTER JOIN ([Final])
        LOAD *
        RESIDENT [$(vTable)];
        DROP TABLE [$(vTable)];
    END IF
NEXT

With that approach, I wouldn't expect the number of fields before the switch to be particularly significant.  I'm not sure what algorithm QlikView uses for a LOAD DISTINCT, but it certainly wouldn't be o(n^4).  I'd expect o(n log n) for that part.  We can also eliminate it if necessary (the comments in my example include a more complicated version without it, though I don't guarantee that it's faster).  But maybe that's not the aspect of solving your problem that you're talking about.