cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daveatkins
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

cannot verify connection; setting up Nprinting

I am setting up nprinting server. I go to create a connection but when I "run verification" it says:

X Engine: myservername

v  Initializing..
X  The connection parameters are formally valid.
v  Completed

This happens for both Local and Server connections.

The engine is listed as online under admin/engine manager

I am able to open qvw from desktop software and verified the service account user has a named CAL (product launches without the personal edition label)

windows services are all running

I have tried with and without authentication for server type

I do not see anything useful in the log files; they are not actually updating based on these clicks, but are otherwise updated

myservername is the same machine as local

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi David - did you install QlikNPrinting by yourself, What version of QlikView are you usingd?

NPrinting has to be installed and configured strictly according to all requirement in help document:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/June2017/Content/DeployingQVNprinting/Qlik-NPrinting-installat...

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/June2017/Content/GettingStarted/HowCreateConnections/Create-Co...

Among other requirements the main once you have to remember are:

• NPrinting service account has to be different than Qlik service account
  • NPrinting service account has to be local administrator on QlikView server and for Server connection it also belong to QlikView administrator group on Qlik server
  • Needs to have UserCal license assigned if used with QlikVIew
  • Needs to be able to localy open an instance of QlikVIew document and save it - double check it!
  • Needs to have an access to qvw files
  • QlikView server and QlikView desktop versions should be the same
  • What version of QlikView are you using? are you sure it is supported? https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/June2017/Content/DeployingQVNprinting/System-requirements_engi...
  • To create qvp connection follow those steps: (steps included in this thread How to connect Qlik N printing 17.4 to Qlik View server)

NPrinting is not going to work if one of requirements is not met. It may seem to work then but it will be unstable!

cheers

Lech

---------------------------------------------

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi David - did you install QlikNPrinting by yourself, What version of QlikView are you usingd?

NPrinting has to be installed and configured strictly according to all requirement in help document:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/June2017/Content/DeployingQVNprinting/Qlik-NPrinting-installat...

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/June2017/Content/GettingStarted/HowCreateConnections/Create-Co...

Among other requirements the main once you have to remember are:

• NPrinting service account has to be local administrator on QlikView server and for Server connection it also belong to QlikView administrator group on Qlik server
  • Needs to have UserCal license assigned if used with QlikVIew
  • Needs to be able to localy open an instance of QlikVIew document and save it - double check it!
  • Needs to have an access to qvw files
  • QlikView server and QlikView desktop versions should be the same
  • What version of QlikView are you using? are you sure it is supported? https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/June2017/Content/DeployingQVNprinting/System-requirements_engi...
  • To create qvp connection follow those steps: (steps included in this thread How to connect Qlik N printing 17.4 to Qlik View server)

NPrinting is not going to work if one of requirements is not met. It may seem to work then but it will be unstable!

cheers

Lech

---------------------------------------------

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
daveatkins
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

I set up the server following those instructions. Looking at your list of requirements, I think I'm all OK except

Why? I am standardizing all QlikView, QlikSense, and NPrinting to use the same service account.

Using QlikView 12; desktop and server. I installed the desktop application on the nprinting server to verify/obtain the user CAL for the service account...which I am logged in as, doing all the install, etc. The QlikView Server is:

Server System Info
Operating SystemWindows Server 2012 R2 Standard (64 bit edition)
Operating System Version6.2.9200
Wow64 modeNot using Wow64
QlikTech ProductQlikViewServer 64-bit Edition (x64)
Product Version12.0.20300.0
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Why different account- because it is one of the requirements listed in help documents..

daveatkins
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Is it just a matter of changing the installed services to run under a different account or would I need to re-install?

That requirement is not listed anywhere I could find on this page, but I will try it

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/June2017/Content/DeployingQVNprinting/User-accounts.htm

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi David, just as follow up:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/June2017/Content/DeployingQVNprinting/User-accounts.htm

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

The Windows user account must:

• Be a member of the local Windows Administrators group.
  • Be a domain user.
  • Have Log on as a service rights.
  • Only be used to run Qlik NPrinting 17 and newer services. This ensures that there are no conflicts with other Windowsservices on the same computer.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I need to add to this my own experience - I had issues before with Qlik NPrinting 17 and i was logging qlik support cases. All of those cases were  related to wrong setup or me not following setup requirements. When we were troubleshooting with qlik support the first question always was whether my NPrinting user account is different than QVS service account!

regards

Lech

daveatkins
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Thanks; that is helpful. They could stand to improve their documentation. I read what you cited and I did not interpret it to mean there was any problem with the service account user running QVS on a different computer, only that it had to be consistent on the nprinting server. I wonder if we will run into this problem with our QlikSense install? There are far too many user accounts involved.