Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to extract specific data from a string field in QlikSense?

Hi there, I need help, I have a field that contains the subject of an email and within that subject I need to extract a ticket number that contains both letters and numbers, i.e. AB123456, which function can I use to extract that number from the field?

5 Replies
sunny_talwar

Is there a specific pattern it follows?

Not applicable
Author

Yes, the ticket number is always first two letters are always text characters, followed by 6 numerical characters, as far as where the ticket number is located, there is no specific rule that dictates where the ticket could be in the subject of the emails, it's worth mentioning that the ticket number should be always in between square brackets

sunny_talwar

One other thing is that, is it possible (may be by chance that there are another string that follows the same pattern? If it is not possible then we might be able to figure this out.

Also, ask marcowedel‌ to take a look at this as he has been known expert in this area of finding patterns in the data.

MarcoWedel

Hi,

maybe one solution could be:

QlikCommunity_Thread_268925_Pic1.JPG

tabMails:

LOAD *,

Mid(subject,Index(

Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(

Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(

Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(

Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Upper(' '&subject)

,'1','0'),'2','0'),'3','0'),'4','0'),'5','0'),'6','0'),'7','0'),'8','0'),'9','0')

,'B','A'),'C','A'),'D','A'),'E','A'),'F','A'),'G','A'),'H','A'),'I','A'),'J','A'),'K','A')

,'L','A'),'M','A'),'N','A'),'O','A'),'P','A'),'Q','A'),'R','A'),'S','A'),'T','A'),'U','A')

,'V','A'),'W','A'),'X','A'),'Y','A'),'Z','A')

,'[AA000000]'),8) as TicketNoSquareBrackets,

Mid(subject,Index(

Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Upper(' '&subject&' ')

,'1','0'),'2','0'),'3','0'),'4','0'),'5','0'),'6','0'),'7','0'),'8','0'),'9','0')

,'B','A'),'C','A'),'D','A'),'E','A'),'F','A'),'G','A'),'H','A'),'I','A'),'J','A'),'K','A')

,'L','A'),'M','A'),'N','A'),'O','A'),'P','A'),'Q','A'),'R','A'),'S','A'),'T','A'),'U','A')

,'V','A'),'W','A'),'X','A'),'Y','A'),'Z','A'),'[',' '),']',' ')

,' AA000000 '),8) as TicketNo

Inline "

subject

some header including ticket number [AB123456]

no ticket number included

some other A12345 text

ticket number BC234567 without square brackets

another [CD345678] ticket

abcdefg [X1234567] hijklmnop

abcdefg [12345678] hijklmnop

abcdefg [XYZ12345] hijklmnop

abcdefg [XY123456] hijklmnop

abcdefg [XY1234567] hijklmnop

bcdefg [XY123456]

[XY12345A] efghijkl

12345 [YZ12345]

1234567 [Y123456] 890

EF098765

FG09A765

[FG0987M5]

[FG098765]

";

see also:

Please help me get the string pattern of each field.

Finding text patterns in Data Columns

hope this helps

regards

Marco

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

A combination of the TextBetween and Right functions might do the trick;

Right((TextBetween(subject,'[',']',1)),6)

between.PNG