Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qv_bazz_10
Creator
Creator

Save/backup personal server objects

Hi guys,

the company I work for has scheduled to switch from QlikView version 11 to 12. We work on many different shared .qvw documents with standard fixed objects and every user has lots of personal server objects.
We'd like to save and store all of them to be sure to have a backup if something goes wrong in the switching process.
I know we could share all the objects and let the admin manage them but, if i'm not wrong, the only way to do it is to manually share them one by one.

Given the above, here are my questions:

1. Is there a quick/massive way to save all personal objects and store them as backup?
2. Are personal server objects saved somewhere on the hard disk or on server?
3. Is there a way to massive share personal objects?
4. Do you know if there is any other quick/massive way to backup personal objects?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Andrea

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

The main information, objects, bookmarks and everything what the developer creates is stored into the QVW file. This objects are available to all users according to the developer design, if some of them are hidden for some users, this behavior cannot be changed on the Ajax interface.

When the QVW is published on the server, and depending on certain configurations in the QMC, some objects are stored into a .Shared file: bookmarks or charts or even new sheets created by users along with some information on which objects are shared with whom, or not shared, and user related information like session status (which selections do they have at the time of saving the application).

The .Shared file is created per application, regardless the number of users or objects they create, and because of this, this file can become really big (like in gigabytes of size) so it should be backed up regularly. However, to backup the file without corruption, you need to stop at least the QlikView Server service from the Windows Services Console.

Last but not least and already mentioned, .Shared files can only be open with the PowerTools, which while developed by Qlik Engineers, it's not an officially supported product, they are doing this on their spare time.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

The short answer to 1, 3 and 4 is no. The answer to 2 is yes, they are stored into the .Shared file with the same name as your QVW application, in the same folder as your QVW application.

You can use the PowerTools to try and see those objects from the shared file, but it's no easy feat. Also maybe Rob Wunderlich or Ralf Becher or Dmitry Gudkov may have developed something for that.

qv_bazz_10
Creator
Creator
Author

If I locate and save the .shared files, do you think they could be loaded after the switch on the new version and all the objects will be available?

Thanks Miguel Angel,

Andrea

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

As far as I know the old Shared files are compatible with the new ones, so just placing them where they are they should display the same properties (chart, sharing, font, etc.) as the current ones.

Make sure you backup everything before the upgrade, including Shared files.

qv_bazz_10
Creator
Creator
Author

Are non-shared objects stored in the .shared file? Is there a .shared file for each user who has created at least one objects or only one per qvw? Sorry but i don't have the rights to access the qvw path so i'm trying to gather all the possibile informations to send them to the admin.

Thank you very much for the advices Miguel Angel.

Andrea

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

The main information, objects, bookmarks and everything what the developer creates is stored into the QVW file. This objects are available to all users according to the developer design, if some of them are hidden for some users, this behavior cannot be changed on the Ajax interface.

When the QVW is published on the server, and depending on certain configurations in the QMC, some objects are stored into a .Shared file: bookmarks or charts or even new sheets created by users along with some information on which objects are shared with whom, or not shared, and user related information like session status (which selections do they have at the time of saving the application).

The .Shared file is created per application, regardless the number of users or objects they create, and because of this, this file can become really big (like in gigabytes of size) so it should be backed up regularly. However, to backup the file without corruption, you need to stop at least the QlikView Server service from the Windows Services Console.

Last but not least and already mentioned, .Shared files can only be open with the PowerTools, which while developed by Qlik Engineers, it's not an officially supported product, they are doing this on their spare time.

qv_bazz_10
Creator
Creator
Author

Thank you very much Miguel, you've been incredibily clear and useful!

Andrea