Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Top 10 year analysis

All - I am trying to get a conceptual grasp of what I think is a set analysis question.  I have a sample data set I'm using (baby name frequencies by year from the US Social Security Administration).  The data is very simple:

NameGenderFrequencyYear
MaryF109872016
RichardM113212016
MaryF91232015
RichardM108732015
TomM76432014
etcetcetcetc

What I'd like to accomplish is to allow the user to select a year and a gender, find the top 10 baby names for that given year by frequency (or the max of the years if they happen to select multiple years), then display a line chart for those 10 names to show how the frequency has changed for them for the past 10 years.

As you can probably guess, I've failed up until this point.  If this type of question is answered elsewhere, please feel free to redirect me.

I've created a measure to try and capture the male names between a certain date range:

Num(Sum({$<[Gender] = {'M'}, [Year]={">$(=Max(Year)-10) <=$(=Max([Year]))"} >}Frequency),'#,##0')

I created a line chart and restricted the names to the top 10.  I picked 2015 as a year anddid not get the intended results so I changed it to a pivot and see:

It is not quite where I'm headed.  I'd like to find the top 10 names from 2015 (the year selected) and show only those 10 trended over the past 10 years.  I've got the 10 years part correct but not the grouping logic.

Any help or direction is appreciated.  QVF file is attached.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

Try this

num(Sum({<Name = {"=Num(Rank(Sum(Frequency))) < 11"}, [Year]={">$(=Max(Year)-10) <=$(=Max([Year]))"}>}Frequency),'#,##0')

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

2 Replies
sunny_talwar

Try this

num(Sum({<Name = {"=Num(Rank(Sum(Frequency))) < 11"}, [Year]={">$(=Max(Year)-10) <=$(=Max([Year]))"}>}Frequency),'#,##0')

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Brilliant - thank you Sunny!