Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bluecarbon
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Powerpoint Native Chart Date dimension is not getting formatted

Hi,

I m trying to create a power point native chart using a straight table of Qlikview. Below are steps done but the Date field is displayed as number eg 42490, instead of 30-Apr-16. The  data is formatted to display in dd-MMM-yy format in Qlikview and tried several options like unchecking source format.

1.Added the chart as Table

2. Include Date and Qty fields from Table into Powerpoint Chart.

Thanks,

Rakul.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Rakul -

1. If you just want a very quick fix you may want to prefix in QlikView your date field with Text function, like: Text(Date (yourdate,'DD-MMM-YY')). Converting this value to text should change its formatting so when you move numbers to temporary excel when you building PPT charts they will remain the same
  2. Second more elegant option would be by (i find it difficult to work with though, because i am not MsOffice expert):
    1. when creating temporary excel file for PPT chart you would have to:
      1. disable keep source format
      2. apply new format on cells in excel to format numbers to dates

Hope this helps

cheers

Lech

---------------------------------------------

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Rakul -

1. If you just want a very quick fix you may want to prefix in QlikView your date field with Text function, like: Text(Date (yourdate,'DD-MMM-YY')). Converting this value to text should change its formatting so when you move numbers to temporary excel when you building PPT charts they will remain the same
  2. Second more elegant option would be by (i find it difficult to work with though, because i am not MsOffice expert):
    1. when creating temporary excel file for PPT chart you would have to:
      1. disable keep source format
      2. apply new format on cells in excel to format numbers to dates

Hope this helps

cheers

Lech

---------------------------------------------

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
bluecarbon
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Lech,

Thanks for your answer.

Option 1 worked

But no luck with Option 2. After unchecking the Keep source format, I tried changing the excel cells Number format but still the powerpoint displayed date as number.

But When I preview the data, I see the date as numbers and then when I select the chart in powerpoint and then select Design menu from Chart Tool and click Select Data or Edit Data, the excel sheet having the data for chart opens up and then if I close the excel I see the date in intended format.

Let me know if there any way to make your option2 work so that it would be great learning.

Thanks,

Rakul.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

What version of NPrinting are you working on? is it 16 or 17?

If it is 17 i will try to replicate this problem and provide you with step-by-step instructions.

If it is 16 - then well... i said good by to v16 long time ago

cheers

bluecarbon
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

I m using Nprinting 17 along with Microsoft Office 2010