Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Calculating average

I have a set of tree inventory data that includes information on the condition of each tree and looks something like this:

TreeID Species Condition

Tree1 Oak Good

Tree2 Oak Poor

Tree3 Oak Good

Tree4 Maple Good

Tree5 Maple Poor

I have an associated table that correlates the condition word to a condition score (number), like this:

Dead 0

Critical 2

Poor 4

Fair 6

Good 8

Very good 9

Excellent 10

I want to calculate the average condition score across all the trees in the inventory, but instead I keep getting an average of the seven condition scores. So for my 125,000 trees, I get an average condition score of 5.57, which is actually the average of (0+2+4+6+8+9+10)/7.

As a further example, if I did Sum(Condition score) for the above example, I would get 12 (4 [score for poor] + 8 [score for good]) and I want to get 28 (8+4+8+8+4).

As I'm very new to this, I'm grateful for any help! Thanks so much.

~Kelaine

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I think I figured it out.  It does seem, when doing avg([Condition score]), it is always averaging within the table the field is found - Conditions.  To average the condition score of your Trees inventory, you'd have to do one of two things:

1. Load the data such that the condition score is part of the Trees table.  Then use avg([Condition score]) and it should work.  Yes, you'd be denormalizing and wouldn't need to load the Conditions table as a dimension table.

OR

2. Keep the setup you have now and change your expression to this:

avg(aggr(sum([Condition score]), [TreeID]))

By using the aggr() function, you'd first force QlikSense to sum the condition scores across the Trees data.  In order for it to work correctly, the 2nd argument for aggr() has to be a field in Trees that is unique to each row.  It seems TreeID will serve that purpose.

After aggr() gets the total condition score for all trees, then it will be averaged.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Kelaine, would you mind uploading your .qvw so I can help?  I need to see how tables are linked, and how you created your chart's expressions.  What you're trying to do sounds simple enough, so I think the issue is more than just creating the formula for the expression.  I can't recommend anything without seeing the whole picture.  Thanks.

Not applicable
Author

Craig,

I appreciate the quick response!

I'm using the personal version of Qlik Sense Cloud, so I don't think I have the capacity to create a .gvw file, right? I've attached a screenshot of the table associations, although I expect that doesn't help much.Screenshot 2017-08-18 14.37.42.png

Thanks,

Kelaine

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Correct, you can't create a .qvw file from it.  Sorry, I assumed QlikView.  But something is better than nothing.  Let me take a look.  I'll reply soon...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Table associations look okay.

I reread your original entry.  Am I correct in understanding that you're trying to get the overall average condition score so that you just see that one number by itself, not as part of, say a pivot table or chart showing breakdowns?  If so, I think what is happening is, by trying to compute an overall average, you're using condition score straight from the Conditions table without it associating back to the Trees data.  Try doing a pivot table and use any Trees field as a dimension (COMMON might be a good one to use), and average the Condition Score then.  Be sure to include a total line for the dimension to see the overall average condition score.  This isn't an ideal solution, but it'll prove the theory.  I'll play with Qlik Sense to come up with a more ideal solution so that you see just the one overall average condition score value.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I think I figured it out.  It does seem, when doing avg([Condition score]), it is always averaging within the table the field is found - Conditions.  To average the condition score of your Trees inventory, you'd have to do one of two things:

1. Load the data such that the condition score is part of the Trees table.  Then use avg([Condition score]) and it should work.  Yes, you'd be denormalizing and wouldn't need to load the Conditions table as a dimension table.

OR

2. Keep the setup you have now and change your expression to this:

avg(aggr(sum([Condition score]), [TreeID]))

By using the aggr() function, you'd first force QlikSense to sum the condition scores across the Trees data.  In order for it to work correctly, the 2nd argument for aggr() has to be a field in Trees that is unique to each row.  It seems TreeID will serve that purpose.

After aggr() gets the total condition score for all trees, then it will be averaged.

Not applicable
Author

Craig,

That's is! That equation was just the right solution. Thanks so much. I'm giving a presentation on this tree inventory this week, and I used that as an excuse to do some exploring in Qlik  for the first time. I'm in over my head (it took me a long time to realize that the average wasn't the right calculation because it "felt" right), but enjoying what I'm learning very much. And what a great community.

Thanks again for the help--my next lesson will be to tackle this aggr business.

~Kelaine