Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to Sort a Dimension in a Straight Table Alphanumerically?

How can I sort a dimension in a straight table alphanumerically?  Currently, it sorts in "natural order" which is not what we need. We have an item number field that contains letters and numbers.  For example, Item number "30A" is ordered before item number "11B".  The application we use is Qlik Sense.  What do I need to order our item numbers in an alphanumeric order using Qlik Sense 3.2?

5 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

The easiest way is to make sure that the dimension is sorted in real alphanumerical order when loading the dimension. Then if you deselect any sorting in the visualization it will use "load order" as sort order.

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

The dimension could also be made as a dual value. That is the text part of the dual contains naturally the text you want to display but the numeric value will be the sequence of the text in alphanumerical order.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The dimension is loaded from an oracle database to a QVD.

The QVD is then used in my app.

Where are you referring when you say, real alphanumerical order?

1) the original table in the Oracle database via key value

2) the app that loads the Oracle DB to the QVD via "Order by"

3) the app that displays the straight table via "Order by"

Your second response references dual value.

I will research that and see what I can do.

Lastly, I read a response from you on the topic of sorting alphanumeric where you tell the user to put a "|" pipe between each character then show the non formatted field but sort by the field with the pipe, separated characters. I started that process, I have the non formatted field and the pipe, separated field but I don't know how to tell the straight table show one but sort by the other.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I don't seem to be able to use Dual() because the item number becomes a unique value with every sales record.

I have summaries by item number and if I use dual the summaries won't roll up to the item level because each item is now unique since it has a sequential number joined to it.

Ken_Thomas
Former Employee
Former Employee

I recently updated an article which attempts to explain the algorithm for sorting of alphanumeric data in Qlik: https://support.qlik.com/articles/000005509

-Ken