Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qliksense Polygon Map UK

Hi,

I have a dataset that included UK Post Codes, Longitude / Latitude Codes and Unitary Authority codes.  I need to display this data on a polygon map rather than point map based on Post Codes.

I have imported the UK KML file into my app - but unsure on how this joins to my dataset.

Ideally I need to group my information by Unitary Authority areas :

ua_areas.PNG

Does anyone have any pointers or example app of UK polygon maps?

Many thanks for any help,

TJM

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi tjm,

basically, you need to find the common field between the KLM file and your data set. If the KLM file contains Unitary Authority Areas, then your own data needs to be mapped to the same codes or names. You might have to load a map that associates the Post Codes with the Unitary Authority Areas.

Once the association is created, the rest is fairly straightforward - you simple create an area map.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

Upgrade your Qlik development skills with my book QlikView Your Business: An Expert Guide to Business Discovery with QlikView and Qlik Sense

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi tjm,

basically, you need to find the common field between the KLM file and your data set. If the KLM file contains Unitary Authority Areas, then your own data needs to be mapped to the same codes or names. You might have to load a map that associates the Post Codes with the Unitary Authority Areas.

Once the association is created, the rest is fairly straightforward - you simple create an area map.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

Upgrade your Qlik development skills with my book QlikView Your Business: An Expert Guide to Business Discovery with QlikView and Qlik Sense

Not applicable
Author

Thanks!!!

One last thing,  My Map is showing the whole of the UK when I only have data relating to a small area.  Is it possible to limit how much of the map is displayed or can it zoom to the correct areas?

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hmm... usually the map only shows the available ("possible") points and areas. Maybe you have some data for the "borderline" areas - that would cause the whole map to be displayed. I'm not sure what else could be wrong.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Could it be that I'm bringing the whole of the UK KML codes as a joined lookup? Whereas my dataset is only for a few areas

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Maybe... in this case, use LEFT KEEP or WHERE EXISTS() in the process of loading the KML data, to reduce the data only to the available areas.

richard_simpson
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hi Tim

You should be able to untick a check box against the dimension of the Map object so that nulls are not included.

Then if you don't have data for locations in the KML file they should be ignored and the map will automatically zoom in to just cover those locations with data (whatever your measure is).

You also have to have auto-zoom ticked for that, but it is by default.

Hope that helps?

Please confirm if it does by marking this response as being the correct answer or helpful.

Thanks

Richard