Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fredericvillemi
Creator III
Creator III

Nprinting 16 or 17 for Qlikview

Hello,

We have just bought NPrinting and I begin having installation problems with 17.3. I remember the times when installation a Qlik product was easy, it's not the case anymore !

Last year, one guy in Qlik had adviced me to stay with v16 because the v17 was not ready.

I'm afraid I will lose time trying to install v17.3, making ticket because the installation doesn't work correctly, and I would like to know if people are still using v16 ?

If I'm only using Qlikview to make reports, is it a good idea to stay in v16 while waiting to have a good v17 or is the v17 far better than v16 and I should go to it because everything missing has been added and it works great ?   Honest advices please

27 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I would not say swap from 16 to 17 is possible.

In my opinion you have to rebuild everything again to make sure it is done properly!

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I mean - technicly there are options you can import from v16 to 17 but i do not trust its compatibility!

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Well. I never thought NPrinitng 17 is the next verion of NPrinitng 16

To me this comparison is like QlikView and Qlik Sense - they are 2 different product, but both have similar functionalities!!!

NPrinting 17 is new way of doing stating reporting supporting QlikView and Qlik Sense, but it cannot be considered as the next version of the same product (NPrinting 16), because it is different product.

On the other note - I think Qlik rushed with NP 17 and released it, when it was not fully tested and ready , but this is different topic.

cheers

Lech

fredericvillemi
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Haha you are kidding I presume ?

NPrinting 17 is not the next version of NPrinting 16 ? 

It's a bit easy to say that .. I think customers who have bought NPrinting 16 are still waiting for updates and new features and it seems that Nprinting 17 is here for that. Even if, I agree with you, it uses a new technology and Qlik has rushed with NP 17 and should have tested it.

It reminds me the first name of Qlik Sense : Qlikview Next. Because it should have been the new version of Qlikview. But when people said that most features of Qlikview were missing from Qlikview Next, it was renamed into Qlik Sense and we've been told that it was a completely new tool.   But at the beginning it was not

Anonymous
Not applicable

... 2 different products with the same name...

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

no kiding... 2 different products.

I think

NPrinting 16 is called QlikView NPrinting

NPrinting 17 is called Qlik NPrinting (except of initial version for NP 17 which was still positioned under QlikView NPrinting).

as I said it is like QlikView and Qlik Sense. Qlik has said (at least to us as partners) that NPrinting 17 is positioned as a new product which will finally catch up with old product and finally can replace v16. Why NPrinting version 16.6 was released? Because it supports QlikView 12.1 and can be used as a supported product at least for another year (i think till Dec 2018). By this time NP 17 should have missing features implemented.

re comment about QlikView Next, from what i remember that was never official name for Sense, as it was only project name for BETA releases of it.

cheers

Lech

fredericvillemi
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I understand your point but maybe you can understand that customers are not as silly as people can think.

I have bought a licence for NPrinting and have access to a tool called Qlikview NPrinting 16 which is used for making reports out of Qlikview and I also have access to a tool called Qlik NPrinting 17 which is used for making reports out of Qlikview and Qlik Sense and which will replace the first one when all features are copied.  I call that the same tool with different version number and upgraded features in v17.

Apple would just call that "a brand new version rewritten from scratch with incredible new features". That would be better to say that instead of trying to fool people by saying : "no, we knew that removing the cycle feature would be ok because it's a new tool, it's called Qlik NPrinting 17 and people can stay with QlikView NPrinting v16 which is a completely different tool"

The 16.6 release of NP16 is not a proof that they are two different products, it is just a proof that people don't want to use v17 because it lacks features and Qlik has no other solution than to release a new 16.6 to be able to use QlikView 12.

It was the same with QlikView.  11.2 should have been the last version of QlikView, but many customers didn't want Qlik Sense and v12 was released.  They are now two different tools. That's good.

Maybe what you want to explain to us is that NP16 is the QlikView NP and NP17 is the Qlik Sense (and QlikView) NP. I understand that but maybe they should rename it because it's too complicated for us poor customers.

I understand you are a partner of Qlik, but sometimes I hope it can help them to show their errors. I was in a meeting of Qlik Sense Tour a few months ago and even Qlik people were not happy about the v17 (and all customers I have met were still QlikView fans and NP16 only users)

Let's hope the new version of NP17 will make all customers happy.

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

September 2017 Technical Preview with cycles can be downloaded right now from Qlik NPrinting September 2017 Technical Preview

You can create a testing enviroment without the need of waiting and test you reports there. Many bugs of the September 2017 TP are already resolved in the version that will be released quite soon.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

---------------------------------------------

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.