Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

RENAME in a loop problem

Hi,

I have the following setup:

Table A loads data from an excel file, Table B loads different data from the same excel file.

Table A contains fields with default names (@1, @2, @3, etc), table B contains the actual names for the fields in table A.

I have multiple excel files to go through, so I have the renaming process in the loop that goes through all of the my files.

Mapping load didn't work for me, so I am working on this workaround.

Within the file loop, I have the RENAME loop, which looks like this:

FOR i=0 to NoOfRows('FieldNameMap')-1

LET vNewFieldName = Peek('Field Name',$(i),'FieldNameMap');

LET vOldFieldName = '@' & ($(i)+1);

RENAME Field '$(vOldFieldName)' to '$(vNewFieldName)';

NEXT

This process works fine for the first excel file; however, the second time around, I can see in the debugger that the RENAME loop takes in the correct field names, but after the loop, my table still has @1, @2, @3, etc as the names of the fields!

Another thing I should mention is that the tables are created at the beginning of the file loop, then one table is used as a resident table and then both the table and the map are dropped before the loop gets to NEXT, so I'm esentially starting with new tables every time I loop through with a new excel file.

To sum up: why do the fields keep their names after the first file is processed?

Thanks,

Siarhei K.

6 Replies
danielrozental
Master II
Master II

You can rename all fields using a mapping tabl, you should look at the "Rename Field" entry in the help file.

Not applicable
Author

I already tried the mapping load, as I described before, but that option doesn't work for me. I am also trying to work with the rename field option, which I also described before, which is giving me a lot of trouble...

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Can you share a sample application and include your data files?

Not applicable
Author

Sorry, but I can't.

I was reading about other people having the issue of not being able to rename fields, and I was told that there might be an issue with me trying to rename a field with a name that is already used in another table. Don't see why that would be a problem, though.

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Yeah, that probably won't work. Can you load first the file that needs renaming?

Can you post your entire script?

Not applicable
Author

I don't think I can post my entire script, sorry.

I did, however, confirm that the problem is trying to rename a field to create an association in a table that has already been loaded.

My workaround, to keep the field names dynamic is to create a whole bunch of variable, which keep the new field names, then when I load the table with fields that I want to rename, I use the following:

@1 as $(v1)

for example.

This works in my case, when I can load the new field names BEFORE I load the fields that I need to rename, and of course, if I know the exact number of fields that I will be renaming.

Hope this helps somebody out there.

Thanks,

Siarhei K.