Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Fetching only particular characters in field value

Hi Guys,

I need your help to fetch only the certain characters from the field value. Let's take i have a Group_Name field with 3 values.

A:

Load * Inline [

Group_Name

Additional Usage: Offer,

Free Product: Offer Free and Free Application Utilities: Category,

My Account: Usage: Application Standard or Deluxe: Sell

];

First Scenario - 'Additional Usage: Offer', I have to fetch only the part of the string i.e before the colon. My result should be 'Additional Usage'. In other words i have to delete the characters after the last colon.

Second Scenario - 'Free Product: Offer Free and Free Application Utilities: Category', My result for this value should be 'Free Product: Offer Free and Free Application Utilities'. In other words i have to delete the characters after the last colon.

I had used SubField(Group_Name,':',1), but it is not fetching the proper results.

Note: Below is the logic used to achieve the expected results in SQL. Could you help me to achieve this in Qlikview

[Group_Name_New] = reverse(substring(reverse(Group_Name) , CHARINDEX ( ':' , reverse(Group_Name))+1 , len(reverse(Group_Name)) - (CHARINDEX ( ':' , reverse(Group_Name))-1))).

Thanks and Regards,

Logesh

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
antoniotiman
Master III
Master III

Hi Logesh,

maybe this

Load Left(Group_Name,Index(Group_Name,':',-1)-1) as Group_Name 

Regards,

Antonio

View solution in original post

8 Replies
antoniotiman
Master III
Master III

Hi Logesh,

maybe this

Load Left(Group_Name,Index(Group_Name,':',-1)-1) as Group_Name 

Regards,

Antonio

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Maybe like

=Left( 'Free Product: Offer Free and Free Application Utilities: Category',Index( 'Free Product: Offer Free and Free Application Utilities: Category',':',-1)-1)

in the script:

LOAD

Left(Group_Name,Index(Group_Name,':',-1)-1) as GroupNameNew,

its_anandrjs

Try with this check this will it worked for you with Subfield and combination of the Len function.

Please check now

A:

Load *,if( Len(Group_Name)  > 16, subfield(Group_Name,':',2), subfield(Group_Name,':',1)) as NewGroup_Name;

Load * Inline [

Group_Name

Additional Usage: Offer,

Free Product: Offer Free and Free Application Utilities: Category,

My Account: Usage: Application Standard or Deluxe: Sell

];

Kushal_Chawda

You can also use

mid(Group_Name,1,Index(Group_Name,':',-1)-1) as Group_Name

Not applicable
Author

What about using substringcount, something similar to this;

left(Group_Name,index(Group_Name':',SubStringCount(Group_Name,':'))-1)

"Take all characters left of the last substring ":"."

It might not be pretty but it should give you what you need, it shouldn't be bad performance-wise either..

Not applicable
Author

Edit: the Mid solution is neater..

Not applicable
Author

Thank you all for your answers. By the way all the solutions that you had provided are working

Regards,

Logesh

Kushal_Chawda

You can also mark some of the solution as helpful