Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Section Access - method posted by Andrew Whitfield

Hi,

I have once used this method and included it into my internal document "QlikView developers'  guide" which I am just rebuilding now in a new Company.

This method allows you to just use one and the same SECTION_ACCESS for every single app.

Anyone but the admin - who has a) the "key_app" and b) the Password for a particular app (which might be the same for several apps) - can log in (without entering a Password, even though it is stated in the SA), but is automatically logged in with user_privileges only.

That is very practical indeed as it makes writing the SA for any new app so much simpler and it is robust in case one Person who had Access to a certain app should be replaced by someone new.

I just cannot find that post anymore right now. I'd like to implement an additional ADMIN role in the "key_app" with a different Password - so that we could give someone else that Password and he'd be able to log into one particular app as ADMIN, but not into any other.

That does not seem to work yet

I can of course post the code for that methodology here - stating once again that it is no development of mine.

Maybe someone can help me, or just post the link to that post so I could ask my question there.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

// The SA in the app for the users (everyone but the admins) must look like this

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

SECTION ACCESS;
LOAD * Inline [
ACCESS, USERID, PASSWORD, NTNAME, NTDOMAINSID
ADMIN, BATMAN, BATMAN, *, *
USER, *, *, *, *
];
SECTION APPLICATION;

// The SA in the "key_app" for the admins must look like that

SECTION ACCESS; LOAD * Inline [
ACCESS, USERID, PASSWORD
ADMIN, BATMAN, BATMAN
];

SECTION APPLICATION
// This Statement may not be closed off by a semicolon, thus there may be nothing else in the "key_app"

The actual trick then is opening the "key_app" and logging in with username and Password, keeping it open and opening the "user_app" - no Password required - voila, you're logged in as admin; If you close down the client, open it again and open the "user_app" - voila, you're logged in with user_privileges only.

7 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Maybe awhitfield himself remembers where he posted this Section Access magic?

awhitfield
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Hi Folks,

It was originally posted on:

Re: SECTION ACCESS with NTNAME

Regards

Andy

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Thanks a lot Folks!

Well, it seems Andrew posted that trick as an answer to a question of mine - but at that time, adding a second line to the "key_app" to allow for someone else having admin_Access to just one specific app was not an issue.

There is of course an alternative - we'll just have to give that one app a different admin_Password and create one more "key_app" for that one - apart from that, one "key_app" could be used for all the apps we have - but I wonder, it should be possible to add a second ADMIN line to the "key_app"?

Best regards,

DataNibbler

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

a colleague yesterday made me Aware of a Little Detail that unfortunately means that this method, which would otherwise save us tons of work (in the quite common case of someone getting a different Task or needing Access to one more or one less app) is not feasible in our context: There are ONLY Named_User_CALs in our Company, so in principle "everyone" has Access to everything which is of course not wanted ... so we Need the SA to control who can - more important, who can NOT - Access which apps. This extremely simple and quick method is thus not an Option for us.

I have thought of an alternative and now developed a code that will load all necessary elements for an SA from an external Excel file. I hope the automated reloads in the QMC are done via a specific user, so we can create one Directory where only ourselves and this user have Access and store the Excel_file there.

=> That way, we'll end up with about 25 Excel_files to adapt (the SA for nearly every app is a Little bit different), but that is still way quicker than adapting that nr. of QlikView_apps.

If we have such a Thing, I could even develop a code that draws all that info from an "overview_file" that tells us quickly which user has Access to what apps - that would be even quicker to maintain.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

There seems to also be a possibility to implement that in the QEMC whereby Excel_files can be imported into the QEMC to establish a nr. of Groups with Access_rights - so we'd still Need a rather large nr. of Access_groups, but that would still be a lot quicker to maintain - we'd just have to adapt the Excel_file, Import it into the QEMC and the next day when the corresp. app is reloaded on the Server, the SA would be automatically updated. Pretty similar to the Approach I have already developed actually, only a bit different.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

There's only one Thing that I don't understand about the otherwise very good help_page on this Topic - but that's a very important Detail, maybe someone can help me a Little bit there:

Several People from another department use the same QEMC that we use - so they are obviously in the Group "QlikView_Administrators" - how can I make sure that only WE (only four or five People) have Access to These SA_Settings?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

OK,

I guess this is done - as soon as I have coordinated this with the colleagues, I'll Close this thread.

I have now developed a dynamic code that we can paste into any app that draws Information from a Matrix overview - which we have to construct first - and loads a list of users and their respective Access_rights for that particular app - so no redundant data is loaded (but for the very first crosstab_load of that overview) - the SA is then dynamically constructed based on that list.