cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gshockxcc
Creator
Creator

Pie chart, count scores - lower, middle, upper

This is a simple question, but I'm struggling with the mechanics.  I have scores for student, with fields "Attained" and "Possible".  Scores are calculated in % as Sum(Attained)/Sum(Possible).  I want to Count the number > 50%, number = 50%, and number < 50%. 

Then, I want to show this in a pie chart, so that I only have three groups.  I'm not sure if I should be counting the number of scores, or the number of students.  Either way, my expressions get complicated, and I'm not seeing a straightforward solution.

Should I create variables and use a ValueList?  Not quire sure how that would work.  I appreciate any guidance you can offer.

Thank you in advance,

6 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Try a calculated dimension like

=Aggr(

If( Sum(Attained)/Sum(Possible) < 0.5, dual('< 50%',1),

If(Sum(Attained)/Sum(Possible) > 0.5, dual('>50%,3),dual('=50%',2)

)

)

,Student)

and a single expression / measure

=Count(DISTINCT Student)

Buckets

gshockxcc
Creator
Creator
Author

Stefan,

This worked perfectly.  I created a Field called "Score" instead of students.  How can I modify this calculated dimension, to filter the scores by Subject, i.e. Mathematics?  If I put a selection filter in the App, it yields the correct results, but I want the pie chart to be static for each subject.

Here's my calculated dimension, which is working.

=Aggr(

If(  Score < 0.5, dual('< 50%',1),

If( Score > 0.5, dual('>50%',3),dual('=50%',2)

)

)

, Score)

Here's my MODIFIED calculated dimension, which is working.

=Aggr(

If( {<AS_Subject = {'Mathematics'} >} Score < 0.5, dual('< 50%',1),

If( {<AS_Subject = {'Mathematics'} >} Score > 0.5, dual('>50%',3),dual('=50%',2)

)

)

, {<AS_Subject = {'Mathematics'} >} Score)

Thank you in advance for your help.  Much appreciated.  Also, the Bucket link is very helpful.  Cheers.

gshockxcc
Creator
Creator
Author

[EDIT] to the above.  The modified script is NOT working.  Sorry for the confusion.  I can't figure out how to modify my reply post.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you click Actions, bottom left of your post it should give you options for Edit

gshockxcc
Creator
Creator
Author

I tried that, but the link fails to load the options.  It's just a continuous progress bar.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

You can only use set analysis in combination with aggregation functions, like Sum(), Count() or Only()

It's hard to help you with the exact syntax without knowing a minimum about your data model, but adding Only() could solve your issue:

=Aggr(

If( Only( {<AS_Subject = {'Mathematics'} >} Score ) < 0.5, dual('< 50%',1),

If( Only({<AS_Subject = {'Mathematics'} >} Score) > 0.5, dual('>50%',3),dual('=50%',2)

)

)

, Score) //no aggregation for the aggr dimension