Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vindhya_giri
Creator II
Creator II

QlikView 12 and SQL Server Native client

Hello,

We are moving from Oracle database to SQL Server database.

I want to know if there is a specific version of SQL Native Client that needs to be installed for QlikView 12?

How do I know what version of Native client is already installed on my server and my desktop?

Please advise

Thanks!

7 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

The SQL Server Native Client is an MS client to connect to SQL Server through the OLE DB/ODBC interface. It's version must correspond with the SQL Server DB you are trying to connect to. QlikView doesn't mind what version you use, as long as it adheres to the OLE DB/ODBC spec.

Newer Native Clients will almost always work with older SQL Server versions (in contrast with Oracle). There is no separate Native Client for SQL Server 2016. Version 11 will do just fine. Version 10 was released together with SQL Server 2008.

Note that the native client is part of SQL Server, not a part of Windows or MS Office. AFAIK you won't have any version installed by default. Download an installer from the Microsoft Download page and install it on the laptop/desktop where you develop your QlikView documents, and on the QlikView server where you plan to roll them out.

Best,

Peter

vindhya_giri
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Peter, Thank you for the response.

Currently, we have the  'SQL Server' Drivers installed. I have created the common connection in the QVS file. I did not come across any issues so far in my testing.

There is no compatibility information mentioned in the system requirements regarding the SQL Server clients.

Thus, wanted to know if there is a specific version for it. Like you mentioned, I think we should be good with 'SQL Server' Driver and do not need any additional Clients to be installed.

Do you agree with me? Or do you have any suggestions for me?

Untitled.png

Thanks

Regards

Vindhya

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

No idea about that driver. I always use the SQL Server Native Client, not the one you are showing in your screenshot.

20170925 SQL Server Drivers.jpg

But as I said before, the driver should correspond with the version of your Database, not with the version of QlikView. So if the default driver (installed with Windows or MS Office?) works with your copy of SQL Server, it will be ok for QlikView.

You can test in Excel whether it works with your SQL Server database.

vindhya_giri
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Peter,

Your screenshot also has the 'SQL Server' driver. Just above the highlighted one.

Where exactly does 'Native client' comes into picture? Because, I do not have any of it installed and did not see any issues too.

How can I test in Excel if it works with SQL Server database?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I have installed it myself. From where? See 1st reply, 3rd paragraph.

vindhya_giri
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Peter,

Sorry for my repetitive questions. But I am trying to understand, do we really have to install the Native Client 11/13 or not?

Where exactly does 'Native client' comes into picture? Because, I do not have any of it installed on the server and do not see any issues too.

Just want to confirm that I am on the right track and not missing any major steps.

vindhya_giri
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Is there a specific reason for you to always use SQL Server Native Client? What is the SQL Server version you are using?

Thank You!