Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QlikSense September - Fatal Errors while installing

Iam very disappointed with the september update (coming from QS July, single server, no cluster):

Had more then one problem:

First try (Update):

- Had to change every service user to a new user manually (Local System not supported anymore)

- Setup crashes anyway leaving broken installation behind

- Had to manuelly deinstall the remaining parts of QS because nothing worked anymore

Next try (new installation):

- Problem1: Local User for Services doesnt work, so i used an active directory user

- Problem2: Local folder paths dont work anymore, had to share my local C-drive

- Installation still aborts: "Could not validate database user" (password is correct)

Now reverting to QS July

5 Replies
silvacarlos
Creator II
Creator II

Did you resolved this? I need to upgrade but with your problem I'll wait for some information about this

Not applicable
Author

Problem 1 + 2 seem to be by design, so be prepared to alter your users + paths.

Regarding the fatal error I´m in contact with Qlik Support and they offered a solution (extracting repository password through the connection string). But yet I havent been able to try it. If this solutions works the repo password somehow changed itself in the past.

sayyadhussaini
Contributor
Contributor

Any update on this ?

millan123
Creator II
Creator II

Any update on this ?

gustavgager
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

I had similar problems but managed to resolve them without reinstalling.

I had a customer with a June 2018 installation. Single Node. Nothing fancy at all.

When i ran the upgrade, it faild on the postgres installation. So i stopped all the services and ran the upgrade again. And the installer again faild on the postgres installation. I tried to start the services again, but could not start the repository database. Therefor my installation was now broken...

I checked the postgres installation Log and i found a refference to the postgres bin folder (c:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Repository\PostgreSQL\9.6\bin) and that the installer faild becuase it had insufficient privileges to this folder and that i should run the installer as admin. Its strange bacuse the installer was run as admin. I tried to access that folder, and i got "Access denied". I tried changeing permissions, go trough an eleveted command prompt, but nothing worked. I then restarted the server.

After the restart, i got access to c:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Repository\PostgreSQL\9.6\bin folder, but it was empty. It seems there was some kind of lock on the folder and it got released when i rebooted the server. Anyway. I tried running the installer again and this time i got an "install" prompt, instead of "upgrade". But i proceeded and the installer detected the old database and i started the installation again. But again the installer faild.

This time i checked the logs and i got alot further. This time the error was that the installer could not access the database with the account i had supplied when running the installer. After some searching i found that you could not have some characters in the password and that i needed to change the password. The problem is that since i cannot even get protgres installed, i could not use it to change the password.

In the end. I restarted the installer and decided to use the old detected database and then use the "postgres" user with the root-password. And it worked. The installer went trough and everything is working the way that it should. My takeaways are:

* Backups, Backups, Backups!! Always take a backup.

* Disable realtime AV-scan befor running an upgrade

* Read the logs. The answer will be there.

* Dont use special characters the the database passwords. Use long passwords: https://strongpasswordgenerator.com/

* Use the Qlik support portal to search for erropr messages

* Dont panic