Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andy
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Qlik Sense Test/Prod and how to handle the shared folder

Hi,

I've set up my first Qlik Sense environment with QDF.

Since I'm using shared persistance I've put the QDF folder structure into that shared folder right beside the built-in Apps-folder.

To support a test and prod flow I did it this way:

1. First I created one folder named Test and another named Prod and put two complete QDF-folder structures in there with prefixes calles like Sales_Test and Sales_Prod.

2. Then I created folder-connections on the Qlik Sense server for each container in each QDF-structure for example

Sales_Test pointing to \\QLikShare\Test\4.Sales

and

Sales_Prod pointing to \\QLikShare\Prod\4.Sales

3. Then I implemented a way to automatically update a vEnvironment-variable depending on if the app is published to prod or test according to this post Multi-tier deployment in a single environment - let apps automatically know which datasources to use...

4. It is only the config-files and the qvd-files that are handled by the QDF since the applications in Qlik sense are restored into the apps-folder with a cryptic name.

Everything works nicely but then when I put some geo-files into the shared folder I realized that the Shared folder in QDF is hard-coded into the 1.init.qvs script like this:

SET vL.QDF.LinkShared_Folders = 'Shared';

Which means that the shared folder cannot have a prefix like Shared_Test or Shared_Prod.

For now I make use of the AltPath-option and have only one single shared folder common to both test and prod.

Anyone else who have thought of how to config the shared folder in a test/prod usage of QDF for Qlik sense?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andy
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi,

Yes it works like a charm now.

I put the

Call LCGV('Shared','','Shared_$(vEnvironment)');

into each containers 4.Custom.qvs and now I have two separate environments for test and prod don't need to edit a thing when poublishing to prod since I implemented this.

Multi-tier deployment in a single environment - let apps automatically know which datasources to use...

Thanks for your hint of 4.Custom.qvs

/Andreas

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Hi Andreas, Shared folder is just like any container except that initiates during load (as you stated) you can just as well initiate the shared container "manually" (adding your dynamic name setting) by adding aditional Call after initiation,
Call LCGV('Shared','','Shared_Test');

To make things even smother add this line into 99.shared_folders\3.Include\1.BaseVariable\4.Custom.qvs and this will be executed if shared container is available. Only drawback is that you will have two different global variables pointing to the same container.

Hope that this helps?

Regards

andy
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi Magnus,

Thanks for that idea.

In that scenario I first have to create a data-connection called just "Shared" in Qlik Sense where that script resides, where should that point?

Perhaps pointing that to the //QlikShare//prod/99.shared_folders and put something like

IF(vEnvironment='Prod') then

Call LCGV('Shared','','Shared_Prod');

ELSE

Call LCGV('Shared','','Shared_Test');

ENDIF

into its 3.Include\1.BaseVariable\4.Custom.qvs

Regards

Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Or just add the variablein the function

Call LCGV('Shared','','Shared_'&$(vEnvironment));

Regards

Magnus

andy
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Two things

1. I have no problem with the LCGV call (other than the bug in 1.7.0 mentioned below) But when you said: "To make things even smother add this line into 99.shared_folders\3.Include\1.BaseVariable\4.Custom.qvs and this will be executed if shared container is available."

I cannot see how that shall work without having a dataconnection named Shared in Qlik Sense and I have only Shared_Test and Shared_Prod. Either I put that call in the app itself or in the different containers corresponding \3.Include\1.BaseVariable\4.Custom.qvs, its not a big deal just that I understood the setup correctly.

2. I suspect a bug in the file 3.Sales\3.Include\4.Sub\4.GenericContainerLoader.qvs

This line won't do much

let vL.QDF.Alias= PurgeChar(trim('$(vL.QDF.Alias)'),'=;,- '&chr(39));

It should rather be

let vL.QDF.ContainerName= PurgeChar(trim('$(vL.QDF.Alias)'),'=;,- '&chr(39));

The impact is that Call LCGV('Shared','','Shared_Prod');,  don't work.

I put a pull-request here

https://github.com/QlikDeploymentFramework/Qlik-Deployment-Framework/pull/5/commits/0da04c0cf1f952ea...

Best regards

Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Hi Andrea's, thanks for spotting this did the Alias work after your correction? My idea was that you would have shared global variables (as they are needed for several things)  and in addition add the shared alias (share_test share_prod)

Hope that this helps.

Regards

andy
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi,

Yes it works like a charm now.

I put the

Call LCGV('Shared','','Shared_$(vEnvironment)');

into each containers 4.Custom.qvs and now I have two separate environments for test and prod don't need to edit a thing when poublishing to prod since I implemented this.

Multi-tier deployment in a single environment - let apps automatically know which datasources to use...

Thanks for your hint of 4.Custom.qvs

/Andreas

Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Great, so the fix you made should then go into the main build?

Cheers

andy
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Yes. At least according to my knowledge.

brgds

Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Hi Andreas, I reviewed and tested the main branch code (without your fix) and could not spot anything wrong, for me the alias works just fine, wounder what differs? Could you run on an older code version? Could you please take 4.GenericContainerLoader.qvs from github main build and test it in your environment?

Regards

Magnus