cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcampbell474
Creator III
Creator III

Help with sending email/report to specific users

I'm somewhat of a veteran to QV, but relatively new to nPrinting.  I've used a lot of guides found online including this one link, but just cannot seem to connect the dots to understand how it works.

I have a QV app with 50 or so employees, their email address, and performance.  I need each one to get a weekly email that highlights their performance only - which is very important.  I can't figure out how to get nPrinting to use the (already imported) email addresses to make a selection in QV causing only that employees data to come back over to the nPrinting report.

I already have these created in nPrinting:

1. Connection

2. HTML Report

3. All Recipients

From what I've gathered, I need to create a Filter to attach to a Task.  How should the Filter be set up to instruct the task to select each employee?  Can it be done in a batch or does a filter have to be created for each employee?  Does a task have to be set up for each employee?  I feel like I'm missing something simple (hope so, anyway).

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stephen_Jasionowski

Jason -

The task will distribute the report to the specified users via email, but you want to filter the recipient, not the task.

This can be done with the Recipient Import task: How to Create and Import Recipients with Filters and Distribution Groups

Then when the recipients are added to the Publish task, each one will have filters for his/her own data applied. A single task will distribute the reports to all of your intended recipients.

If you are using NPrinting 17, here is the tutorial around user import: Importing users with filters and groups ‒ QlikView NPrinting

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Stephen_Jasionowski

Jason -

The task will distribute the report to the specified users via email, but you want to filter the recipient, not the task.

This can be done with the Recipient Import task: How to Create and Import Recipients with Filters and Distribution Groups

Then when the recipients are added to the Publish task, each one will have filters for his/her own data applied. A single task will distribute the reports to all of your intended recipients.

If you are using NPrinting 17, here is the tutorial around user import: Importing users with filters and groups ‒ QlikView NPrinting

jcampbell474
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thank you.  Please bear with me...

So, I need to need the Recipients I've already imported and import them again?  But this time, add a Filter to each one?  If so, is this the filter used to select them in the QV data?  Is there a way to set up one filter that acts kind of like a variable that uses the email address to make the employee selection in QV?

Then, when I run the task, it will look at each Recipient (and the associated filter) and execute as desired?

I'm using nPrinting 16.

Stephen_Jasionowski

Correct, each recipient will need a filter(s) associated with them to make the proper selections in QlikView at the time their report is generated.

The email address you have associated with the recipients right now is for report distribution purposes only; it will not "select" that recipient in the QVW.

If you want to make the selection based on the email field in QV, that's fine. In that case, the filter would be the name of the email field in the QVW and the respective value for each recipient.

Then for the report task, it will go thru each recipient and select their email address in QV before generating the report.

jcampbell474
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Stephen, thank you for the replies.  Last week, I set up everything the way you outlined it (I think).  Got it ready for the first run this morning and ran the job.  Everyone got an email, but the data in the email was for one person - the same person.  It's like the employee filter did not apply.  I have filters set up and assigned to the recipient, report, and task.  Feels like I'm overlooking something simple.  Why would the employee filter not work?

proctors
Creator
Creator

Any solution yet?

jcampbell474
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Yes, that was some time ago.  Seems like it had something to do with just the overall way I had the job set up.  I figured it out and it's still working to this day.

proctors
Creator
Creator

Any advice on what you did to make it work? Did you get around having to adding each user in NPrinting?

jcampbell474
Creator III
Creator III
Author

There was something going on with the setup and/or filtering.  I don't recall exactly.  If you're having an issue, I would open a new thread.  There are many experts here who are qualified and willing to help!

proctors
Creator
Creator

So, apparently it's not possible? Are others missing something?

https://community.qlik.com/message/1353494?et=watches.email.thread#1353494