Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andre_ficken
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Running QvPlugin 64bit

Dear Audience,

My customer is running Qlikview server and desktop 12 SR5, on Windows 2012R2. We use IE and have a number of different devices we need to support. Sofar we used the Ajax client, but we run into some problems with reloading, refreshing and triggers on tracking dashboards on unattended screens.

I read through a whole stack of sites, notes and what more and think we can resolve the issues we have by using the IE Plugin.

Fortunately the company is standardized on IE. However we do not use IIS. We use the Qlik Webserver to run dashboards in the Ajax client.

How can I get the IE plugin working  properly using the Qlik server.... for example I found a document that mentioned installing the QvTunnel, I started the QVInstall file but in that file I did not find a Tunnel option listed that was shown on the install screenshot in the document. I have attached the document I found...

I hope there is someone that can shine a light on this and help us setting up and resolving this.

Is there a possibility to setup and use the IE Plugin in combination with the Qlik webserver.

Thanks!!

7 Replies
marcus_sommer

We used the IE plugin some years with the qlikview webserver and it worked well and as far as I remember we didn't configurate anything special. We also didn't extra install the tunneling - I think it will be only needed by using the IIS as webserver.

I suggest that you install the plugin on your local machine and enable just some testing-apps for the plugin-access and your user. I would expect that it just worked.

Beside them with Using EDX in QlikView 11 - basic example could be reloads triggerred per AJAX client whereby I think macro-implementations for this task could be easier especially if it is only for a few specialized applications and not the whole environment (which would need some more considerations to possible side-effects).

- Marcus

andre_ficken
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hello Marcus,

I have tried to install the plugin but got some messages and no luck starting the dashboards.

I have attached the screenshots I saved from the test setup.

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Best Regards,

André Ficken, Vi@Fi BV

marcus_sommer

I'm not quite sure how to interpret your screenshots. The second indicates that the qvw couldn't be opened with the IE client because anything of the communication between the qliklview directory-, server- and webserver-services regarding to a proper authentication failed. Reasons for it could be blocked ports, for example 4747: Re: IE plugin mode does not work or that the traffic goes over a proxy-server or maybe IE settings like the protected mode of the IE.

The first screenshot showed an opened application but didn't calculate / render most of the objects. For this there could be various reasons, for example different releases between the developing desktop client, the server and the used IE plugin, macros and actions especially triggerred with OnOpen or OnActivate. Further there is a big difference between the AJAX client which only displayed a renderred website (all work happens on the server-side) and the IE plugin which just get the data from the server and must it render itself - and this happens on the local machine with probably a lot fewer resources as the server had and it might hit some limitations.

I suggest that you at first used a quite simple dummy-application to test step by step the access, the objects, the different layout-renderings and then of course with bigger datasets.

- Marcus

andre_ficken
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Marcus,

Is does not matter what I try to open. It will still give me the error. I have port 4747 open and build a simple dashboard that opens in full web version, like my other dashboard. But opening either one with the IE plugin, that I could install from the accesspoint without a problem, results in the error.

Any other ideas??

marcus_sommer

Like above mentioned it should not need much that the access with the IE plugin and the qlikview webserver worked. It's the port 4747, entries to the IE plugin respectively the opendoc.htm within the qmc webserver settings (I think they should be already set as default through the installation) and the enabling of IE plugin access within the qmc document-settings.

If this is checked and didn't work I would assume the cause by the client IE installation/settings and/or the network settings/policies (proxy-server, firewall, group policies) but I'm not admin enough to find such a cause easily - quite often it would start with a ping/trace from the client to the server. Maybe pcammaert could give more useful suggestions.

- Marcus

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Tunnelling is only needed if the server that is running the QVS blocks port 4747. The tunnelling feature is built-in into QVWS. The DLL is only needed if you run IIS.

You can try a simple technique to test ports-firewalls-routing and the likes. On a client computer, start QV Desktop and use Open in Server... to navigate to the QVS (not the AccessPoint or Web Server) and open a document that is available to you. If this works, then the IE plugin should work just fine. If this doesn't work, you may want to double-check all connections, firewall settings, tunnelling setup, QMC configuration parameters etc.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

BTW if your customer operates a complex network architecture, he may even disallow the simple routing of protocol 4747 between clients and QVS server. Then even with a completely disabled firewall you will still not get connections to the QVS...