Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markus19-85
Partner - Contributor III

Rename Fields, no update in multibox, expressions etc.

Hi,

I am using the rename function in my script

Binary [..\..\2_qvd_layer\publisher\Generator_DataModel_Build.qvw];

New_Fields:
mapping LOAD
Old_Field,
New_Field
FROM
[..\Data\New_Field2.xls]
(
biff, embedded labels, table is Sheet2$);

rename Fields using  New_Fields;

This works fine so far, but unfortunately my multibox gets no updated with the new field names

has anyone a solution for this? thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
markus19-85
Author

very strange, after using MAP, I changed it back to Rename and now it is working

View solution in original post

7 Replies
madhumitha
Creator
Creator

Hi,

Can you try "MAP" field names instead of Rename ?

Thank!

sunny_talwar

I think you will have to manually go in to change the field names to the new one....

markus19-85
Author

but this can not the first opportunity, I tried it in a really small app, with only 5 field, there it worked perfectly, multiboxes, expressions everywhere the name changed, therefore I do not understand this issue.

markus19-85
Author

this is not working, nothing has changed when using MAP

sunny_talwar

Well QlikView tries to help us when the number of fields that have changed names are 1 or 2 (never seen it happen with 5 fields, but all 5 field names were changing?) With more than 1 or 2 field names, QlikView doesn't really know which old field name belongs to which new field name. In order to not mess it up, it leaves it for the users to make that change.

I guess I see why you would think that it should know because you have told it in the script that a changes to Z and b changes to X... but I don't really think it use that information when changing the field names.

markus19-85
Author

very strange, after using MAP, I changed it back to Rename and now it is working

Or
MVP
MVP

This is a known limitation:

https://community.qlik.com/thread/53038

If there's too many things for you to rename one at a time, and the method suggest in the above link does isn't applicable for you, you could try writing code that will rename one field at a time (use a variable set to 1, get only that number from the rename file, and then increment the variable) and then run that repeatedly. That might work as for each run only a single field will be renamed.