cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
plexpro52
Creator
Creator

Comments on <Load more> ?

I have found the introduction of limited loading of rows to be a rather large hindrance at times (especially when reviewing large numbers of rows), and thus very annoying.  An aggravator, in fact, perhaps the sole reason that this be for me a major issue, is that it is a moving window that does not keep loaded what has already been retrieved.

Down with <Load more>!  Especially, down with <Load previous> !

These are the options that I see available going forward:

1. Keep the current moving window with no change.

2. Keep the current moving window, but allow size of window to be specified.

3. Eliminate any restriction on loading of data; i.e., revert to the way Qlik Sense behaved prior to 3.0.

4. Eliminate the moving window, and go with an expanding window.  I.e., keep <Load more> for additional data, and eliminate <Load previous> (keeping already-loaded data).  Optionally allow specification of increment size.

5. Make data loading behavior an option that can be set at multiple levels:  1) server, 2) app, 3) visualization.  Setting a value at a more specific context overrides general setting.  Options would be:  1) no restriction, 2) moving window with number of rows specified, 3) expanding window with increment quantity of additional rows specified.

I presented the options on a continuum of desirability, from what I feel to be the least desirable ("1") to the most desirable ("5").

Please comment on these options and on your experience (especially if you have some trick that might give some relief!).

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

The fix for this is eventually on it's way, and is live in Qlik Cloud. Details in this blog post:

https://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/sense-touchscreen-mode-coming-soon/

Crazy it has taken so long, since the toggle between touch and mouse mode has been there in QlikView for ages.

Steve

View solution in original post

10 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Where is this option available? API?

-Rob

plexpro52
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Rob,

>> Where is this option available?

To my knowledge, it's not.  I'm proposing that Qlik Tech should create it.

René

pierreroy
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi René,

Do you have a touch screen device? If yes, you have to disable this foncionnality. See the link below for more information.

Qlik Support

Pierre

plexpro52
Creator
Creator
Author

Hello Pierre,

Thanks for the link.  That is interesting, but too bad that, as they said, "This button is currently not configurable (no option to disabled it)."  The need to be able to configure the button was the point of my post.  Unfortunately, half a solution is in this case worse than no solution, in my view.

The article, as you pointed out, says "Possible workaround is to disable the touch screen functionality."  However, for someone who actually needs the touch functionality, especially on mobile devices, this is not an option.

Qlik needs to address this ASAP, in my view.

René

stuwannop
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

We have a client who is finding this unbearable to use when scrolling down so yes it is something that Qlik needs to look into quickly. I think disabling touch screen will fix the issue but this is not the long term solution.

As a partner, we have raised a feature request that this load more button can be turned off (or removed completely). If you are a partner I would recommend you also raise a feature request with them as more numbers will ensure that it becomes a priority. I don't think Qlik realise what a big end user issue this is - out client has spent a significant amount on Qlik Sense and this is a massive issue for them.

Stu

plexpro52
Creator
Creator
Author

Hello Stu,

>> If you are a partner I would recommend you also raise a feature request with them...

Unfortunately, I am not.  If I were, I would be inundating them with feature requests; in fact, if there were a forum that were properly set up to receive and evaluate suggestions, and solicit feedback from the user community, I would still be doing this.  Synon, and then Sterling Software and Computer Associates, with respect to Synon-created software, had a very useful and active user forum, and it was, frankly, wonderful for developers/users.

I did during the first year that we had Qlik Sense inundate the support partner with whom we deal with these observations and requests, but they weren't interested; it wasn't in their contract.

I don't have time to waste on detailed presentations that don't receive any attention.

Hopefully things may change.  Qlik Sense is still very immature when it comes to being enterprise-suitable, in my view.

René

rcmuller
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

I'm aware this is a post from last year, but just came across today with a client asking me about the <Load More> button.

Never saw it before and trough this post I found out that it's related to touching devices - so, yes my client was using a Surface like laptop.

The explanation from Qlik "The "Load More" Button has been in Qlik Sense for at least 2 years. It is a way to solve performance issue found in applications with larger data sets...".

I can understand the validity of this in large data sets, however the app in question has a main fact table with 30,454 records and a handful of dimension tables with only a few hundred records each (would anyone consider this a large data set??).

So I reckon Qlik should rethink it's approach or the excuse for having this button enabled by default just because it's running on a touch device.

We are Qlik partners and will follow the suggestion of raising this issue with them.

Cheers,

Rob

plexpro52
Creator
Creator
Author

Hello Roberto,

>> ... through this post I found out that it's related to touching devices - so, yes my client was using a Surface like laptop.  The explanation from Qlik "The "Load More" Button has been in Qlik Sense for at least 2 years. It is a way to solve performance issue found in applications with larger data sets...".

I find their explanation to be pretty lame.  How long it may have been in Qlik Sense really is neither here nor there.  I didn't encounter it that long ago, I suppose because my previous laptop did not have a touch screen.

They have me wishing for a laptop without a touch screen, if that be all it would take to eliminate this major hassle.  But why in the world would it only be implemented for touch screens, since the issue be a performance issue?

And for them to act as if their comment be the last word is either arrogant or ignorant, but they admit themselves in the quote you provide that this "is a way", not the way.  I provided alternative suggestions and rationales which should satisfy the performance concern, and give users the option for how the user wants Qlik to behave.

This may sound harsh, but there has been enough time to have addressed this, and I think that such user experience issues be very important to the usability and viability of the product, at least far as our use of it be concerned.

René

rcmuller
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hi René,

Yes, completely agree.

More yet because the app my client was using is a mere 1,152Kb in size.

Kind regards,

Roberto