Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Does Resident Table improve performance?

Hi,

Could anyone tell me if the use of resident tables would help improve performance?

Regards

Raj

16 Replies
magavi_framsteg
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi.

If loading QVD OPTIMIZED, it is faster than loading from resident tables.
I can't prove it right now, but I see this all the time.
I only do resident loads when necessary.

QlikTech states that QVD:s are optimized for loading fast from them.

quiquehm
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi,

I found a very good article ( a 36 min webex recording plus slides in pdf ) called "Understanding & Best practices with QVD files", by Rob  Wunderlich.

http://qlikviewnotes.blogspot.com/2011/02/qvd-questions-and-answers.html

My understanding is ( maybe wrong ) that due to the QVD files Optimized Load Limitations ( mainly no transformations or new fields allowed ), in case you want to add calculated dimensions or new fields for example when loading a QVD file, a solution could be to load the QVD file as it is ( no manipulations inside, to have an Optimized load ), and then add these new fields in a new table using RESIDENT load ( so the option 2 as commented should be faster ).. Also, should the first loaded table from the QVD file be drop after the resident load ?. Unfortunately I am not an expert developer. Could someone confirm/comment on this ?

Thanks

Enrique

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I haven't watched the webex, but you can add fields after a QVD load like this:

MyTable:
LOAD
MyKey
,SomeField
,SomeOtherField
FROM MyFile.qvd (QVD)
;
LEFT JOIN (MyTable)
LOAD
MyKey
,if(SomeField>5,'Big','Small') as SomeFieldSize
,SomeField + SomeOtherField as SomeSummaryField
RESIDENT MyTable
;

You would not drop MyTable in this case because you're joining to it.  I haven't compared the speed to making a new table and then dropping the original.  I'd expect that to use more memory (untested), and we're a bit short on memory on our publisher server, as well as on our development PCs, so I try to conserve it where possible.

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

I did a couple of tests and didn't found much difference in processing time or memory utilization. Tested with 10 Million records, Core i5, 4GB memory.

Doing this took 24 secs

R00:

LOAD ID,

ShipperID,

OrderDate,

CustomerID,

Discount,

ProductID,

Quantity,

UnitPrice,

Quantity*UnitPrice AS NetSales,

Quantity*UnitPrice-Discount AS Sales

FROM

C:\Users\Daniel\Documents\prueba\R00\R00_A.QVD

(qvd);

Doing this took 27 secs

R00:

LOAD ID,

ShipperID,

OrderDate,

CustomerID,

Discount,

ProductID,

Quantity,

UnitPrice

FROM

(qvd);

R00_1:

LOAD ID,

ShipperID,

OrderDate,

CustomerID,

Discount,

ProductID,

Quantity,

UnitPrice,

RESIDENT R00;

DROP TABLE R00;

And this also took 27 secs

R00:

LOAD ID,

ShipperID,

OrderDate,

CustomerID,

Discount,

ProductID,

Quantity,

UnitPrice

FROM

(qvd);

left join(R00)

LOAD

ID,

Resident R00;

quiquehm
Contributor III
Contributor III

Well, it seems there is not significant differences then. Maybe it could depend on the type of calculated field we introduce when loading the QVD.

Not sure if adding a new field using an if statement in your first R00 test ( like the one John adds after the left join )..or maybe adding a WHERE statement would make things slower in the first test. Not sure you could do that test and see what happens ...otherwise I would conclude there is no need to use left joins or resident loads here...the simplest way as I see it would be to add the new/calculated fields when loading the QVD.

What it is not clear to me then is the speed difference between a QVD Optimized Load and a QVD Non Optimized Load ( as if we add fields during the QVD load, it seems as per the QVD best practices slides, we break the rules of the Optimized Load ). Any ideas on this ?

quiquehm
Contributor III
Contributor III

Well, it seems there is not significant differences then. Maybe it could depend on the type of calculated field we introduce when loading the QVD.

Not sure if adding a new field using an if statement in your first R00 test ( like the one John adds after the left join )..or maybe adding a WHERE statement would make things slower in the first test. Not sure you could do that test and see what happens ...otherwise I would conclude there is no need to use left joins or resident loads here...the simplest way as I see it would be to add the new/calculated fields when loading the QVD.

What it is not clear to me then is the speed difference between a QVD Optimized Load and a QVD Non Optimized Load ( as if we add fields during the QVD load, it seems as per the QVD best practices slides, we break the rules of the Optimized Load ). Any ideas on this ?

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

I don't believe you can make generelatizations with this, it might be a case where doing a resident load might improve performance, maybe if the table has many fields or if the calculation is more complex, I really don't know.

Loading your QVDs optimized has a huge difference in performance than not loading them optimized. An optimized load is, at least my interpretation, almost like a direct upload to memory where QV only copies information to memory without any processing, while not loading it optimized does cause some processing to be involved.