Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgarciaf106
Creator
Creator

Generic Keys or Suggestion

Hi,

I need some help, to understand how can I improve my Data Model.

I have 10 data Tables, within 8 data data tables I have 5 fields in Common (Cluster,Country,Location,BU,month) the rest of information within the table is completely different, within the other 2 data data tables I have 5 fields in Common (Cluster,Country,Location,BU,Quarter).

Is it possible to create some sort of Connection, between the common fields (Generic Key), So when I filter any of the sheets the complete app gets updated?

And at the same time this key helps me to better manage the section access/application.

Thanks in advanced

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
effinty2112
Master
Master

Hi Andres,

It's not possible to give detailed advice without knowing your data but if you have 10 fact tables then it's very highly likely that some or all of these tables can be concatenated or joined to create a small number of fact tables, maybe even a single fact table. The first 8 tables you mention are good candidates for considering concatenation and if you add a Quarter field to them maybe all 10 can be concatenated.

Check out the document posted here:

Best Practices for Data Modelling

Good luck

Andrew

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MK9885
Master II
Master II

It is always good to have keys as numeric.

Which of those fields are having Numeric values?

A sample data can help...

effinty2112
Master
Master

Hi Andres,

It's not possible to give detailed advice without knowing your data but if you have 10 fact tables then it's very highly likely that some or all of these tables can be concatenated or joined to create a small number of fact tables, maybe even a single fact table. The first 8 tables you mention are good candidates for considering concatenation and if you add a Quarter field to them maybe all 10 can be concatenated.

Check out the document posted here:

Best Practices for Data Modelling

Good luck

Andrew